help! big ole sump bubbles!

My sump is bubbling like a witches cauldron!
Big nasty bubble and its driving me crazy!
I dont know what to do, i can watch the water rise in the overflow (built in) and when it gets to a certain point its *chug chug chug* bubbles.

This is driving me insane!
please please help!

no its still doing it.
like i said the water rises in the overflow and when it gets to a certain spot on the pipe the water level lowers and i get tons of bubble in my sump.

framerguy

is it possible to post a pic of your equipment, maybe we can see if something is amiss in the plumbing. When you say "water level lowers" do you mean in the sump or overflow or tank? It's sucking air somewhere.

sorry i should have been more specific, the overflow water level rises and then falls.

now im noticing that its putting tons of micro bubbles in my display.

:(

IMG_0050.jpg

The overflow where the rising and falling takes place

IMG_0049.jpg

the sump underneath.

Ive jiggled the bottom (grey) hose around and its gurgling less but there are still tons and tons of micro bubbles

framerguy

can you lower the intake of the durso stand?the water level should really be constant to about the top of the elbow so this is really baffling how the water level can rise and fall. I don't see a bubble trap in the sump, you may have to add one. It would fix the symptoms but not the problem.

cioutlaw

I think Framer is on to something..you are going to have a lot of bubbles in your sump reguardless. You have to have a bubble trap before the return pump to keep them from going back to the main display. About the overflow level going up & down I would check your air vent at the top for an obstruction(dried salt etc.). I dont think this would cause more air bubbles in the sump but it will cause the overflow level to go up & down.
Good luck, let us know what you find out.

Scouter Steve

Make sure the air hole on top of your drain is open. I mean the hole in top of the tee cap inside the overflow. Jamb a toothpick in there. Mine clogs ocasionally and it gets very loud. Looking at the back of the tank you see the water level rise and then fall rapidly when the air is clogged.

yup that was it the air hole was clogged.
the level remains fairly conistent now with now big glug glug bubbles.
There are still some micro bubbles but i will pick up a trap and see if that helps.

Thank you!

Edd13

Make sure the air hole on top of your drain is open. I mean the hole in top of the tee cap inside the overflow. Jamb a toothpick in there. Mine clogs ocasionally and it gets very loud. Looking at the back of the tank you see the water level rise and then fall rapidly when the air is clogged.

I was going to say the same thing ... as the water passes by that opening it gets salt creep, which eventually closes the hole