Help Again pls

Debby

well went and bought crickets for sons lizzards asked about water they said they only have ro no di and di is bad to put in saltwater.Still trying to sell me chemicals for algea. sure had some pretty fish they got in today.Thought i was crazy for walking out with crickets only.

framerguy

well went and bought crickets for sons lizzards asked about water they said they only have ro no di and di is bad to put in saltwater.Still trying to sell me chemicals for algea. sure had some pretty fish they got in today.Thought i was crazy for walking out with crickets only.
That is completely preposterous and they have no idea what they are talking about! It's not something you put "in" anyway, it's another step in the filtration process to remove impurities. Geez, I can't believe they said it, even if they're trying to sell you something.

Resist the urge to buy more fish with all of your might! It's hard, believe me!!!! You did well young Jedi.

This will clear up without chems. Depending on how much water costs from them, it may be cheaper and better to use distilled water from the grocery store 'til you can get your own RODI. Around here, distilled water is 64 cents per gallon. I used it for a year before I got my RODI.

rlcline76

Debby, I do not know if this has already been discussed, but have you started pricing RO/DI units yet? Do you need any recommendations?

BarbMazz

RO/DI = Reverse Osmosis/ De-Ionization Filtration unit.

It's a filtration unit that hooks up to a water line in your home that has several canisters. Water from the line passes through the canisters and impurities are removed. The last process is de-ionization. This is the best water to use for your saltwater aquarium.

Here are some examples of units:

Aquarium Reverse Osmosis Filters, Deionizers & Tap Water Filters

They are not complicated to set up. There are many different models available to fit just about any budget.

framerguy

The water may or may not be your issue but the unit basically provides a "known" clean slate to work from. Also, if you get one, you can have it feed a sterile resevoir and just put a spigot on it and fill your own drinking water bottles. It's the most pure water you can put in your own body.

Debby

hay guys the new light i have fas moon lights. When is the best time to use them.And whay are they for do they do anything for fish or just for looks.

Debby

kathywithbirds

I don't think the moonlights have any significant impact on the corals or anything, but I could be wrong... I use the white ones on mine for an hour or so after lights out then I turn on the blue ones. The blue ones are on all night pretty much.

BobBursek

Just remember we do not have real moon light every night and the amount veries depending on the phase of the moon.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Most corals and many fish spawn using phases of the moon. Since you are not at this point in your reefing endeavor, store this in your Now-I-Know file.

What I like mostly about the moon lights is it casts some light in the tank for those fish that meander through half dazed and allow them to see objects, stinging organism and caves to hide in if they get frightened. In addition to that it's cool looking!

Debby

debbyfish.jpg

How long do I leave the new lights on 2 white bulbs 2 blue bulbs, Look how rose bloom since adding new light.What a difference sure hope I didnt hurt it with the other lite not being strong enough.

BarbMazz

WOW, Debby.... beautiful picture!

You're certainly right about Scott, too. He's one of my most favorite-ist people here on RS... I loce him!