Hello!

Sirena

Hi!
I live in Miami, new to the hobby.
I have a 12g Nano Deluxe, which I started on April 12, 2005.
At the moment I have life rock, 1 blue damsel,a pepermint shrimp, a nice pink carnation coral, two green zoos, some blue hermet crabs and some snails.
Soon I hope to download some pictures of my new tank and keep a journal online to share it with my friends.
Hope to learn from you all.
:turntable Sirena

Cougra

Welcome to the site. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

I do have to point out that the pick carnation coral probably wont live for very long. These corals fall under the category difficult in the upmost extremes to keep. Although carnation corals are often available in stores because of their vibrant colours, there have been no known successful cases of keeping one alive for any length of time in a captive environment. They are non-photosynthetic deep sea corals that are generally found hanging upside-down underneath ledges in the wild. Their feeding and water flow requirements are completely unknown. Unfortunately most LFS’s realise these corals don’t live very long and are eager to sell them as quickly as possible with little to no warning and at fairly inexpensive prices which makes them attractive to many hobbyists who don't do their research.

Even if you have a coral for one or two months, it doesn't mean that it's been kept sucessfully, as they could just be dieing slowly. Corals have a very slow motabolim which doesn't show symptoms of illness or malnutrition for a long period of time, but often slowly starve to death over the course of months.

The most ethical and economical tip I can give is to research the animals that you wish to put in the tank before you purchase them. Make sure that the animals you wish to keep are compatible with the rest of your tank mates as well as with your equipment , make sure you have the proper lighting, current, room for the animal when it's grown, feeding regimen, etc. If you know the limitations of your system and only get animals which suit those limitations then you'll find this hobby a lot more enjoyable then if you are constantly losing a lot of animals.

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Welcome to RS Sirena! Glad you are here!

You will learn a lot here. Great points Cougra! See?
:)

Yo Ho Ho!

Gina

RS STAFF
:hallo: and :welcomera Sirena!

Would love to see pics of your nano!
We also have a thread here just for you nano lovers. Check out some of the postings there!

Glad to have you here!

Sirena

Hi Michelle,
Thank you for all your tips.
I got my passion for the reef keeping because a friend of mine has one, unfortunately I notice he had little knowledge and time of how he needs to take care of his aquarium. I have done my research quite well, before I bought my tank, I checked on the internet on different websites and look for information. I reviewed many of the most common mistakes and is exactly what you brought up, many people start with the hobby and they don't know where to look for info and what to buy first.
Before I even bought my tank I spent 3 months making sure I knew what type of aquarium I wanted fresh or salt, what size,once I knew I wanted a salt water, I needed to made a decision :would go for fish or corals. I went for the corals, they are facinating. The carnation coral is indeed a very difficult type and not cheap. I understand that this is no cheap hobby and I won't buy corals because of their price. For most of my friends it is incomprehensive how a woman would spent $60 on 1 little coral.
I have my carnation hanging upside down as I read that is how they are found in the habitath ,I have tried to find a spot in my aquarium where it seems to be comfortable, like you said I can't trow a party yet because it only has a month in the tank and although it makes interesting moves and changes during the day and night, I can't say it will live long or not. It is a challenge and I believe this is what keep us all in this hobby.
Being at this site makes it interesting to hear the advise of others cause it helps not to make the same mistakes.
Thank you so much =]