Hello From Malta !!!

biju708

Hi All,
I've been a member for some time now getting as much advise as possible and just thought to myself it was about time I should say Hi and introduce myself :) , well I've been into fresh water aquariums since I can remember my father was very passionate about it and he passed the hobby to me. I just bought a new house and off course one of it's specifications had to be space for a Marine Aquarium. Anyhow after heavy negotiations with my girlfriend I finally got what I always wanted. It's a 90gal bow front tank I will attach a pic of it. Here in Malta we only have three or four maybe LFS that cater for Marine fish so most of the hardware stuff I had to order via the internet, anyhow things are going great and thanks to this forum I managed to get a lot of help. Since I cannot ship live rock I have to wait for the LFS to get some themselves and then put it in the tank so please bare with me if the tank looks bare but don't worry things will pick up quickly "Hopefully." :)

Attachments

• fulltankshot@2weeks.jpg
    fulltankshot@2weeks.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 38

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
:hallo: Welcome to Reef Sanctuary~~ :)

Nice bow front! Just remember to 'go slow'. I wouldn't add any lifestock until after you've added the live rock and are certain the cycle is complete. I look forward to watching your system evolve!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Malta is in the Meditteranean Sea southeast of Greece if I'm not mistaken, my Geography skills have declined in the last several years:rollingey

BTW welcome to RS biju :angel3:

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Welcome to RS!

It is not far from Tunisia either. I tried to go there when I was in Tunisia but could not find any transport to the island! Very interesting place for sure!

Cheers!

biju708

Hi thanks for the warm welcome. Yes indeed Malta is a lovely tiny island in the Mediterranean south of Italy, It's a great place we do not have the nice reefs you find in the pacific but we do have nice diving spots as well being surrounded by sea have a look here for some of our underwater scenery

http://www.theglobalvoyage.com/divegallery/index.php

Back to my tank yes I would leave it cycling for the time being, I already have a problem with red slime today I bought some chemicals which should fix it in a week or two hopefully.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
My sugestion is NEVER add chemicals to fix a problem especially in a reef tank.

Do you use tap water or RO/DI ? I assume you have no fish so your not feeding yet but usually Cyano or red slime algea is an indication of Po4.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Great photos!! I really like this one...
FAWNA1%20%287%29.jpg

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Welcome to RS!

I happen to be Maltese (mom's side)! My mom and dad went to visit about 6 years ago, and had alot of fun spending time with the relatives.

biju708

Hi Cheeks, I used water from our well, There are no fish yet that's why I assumed it was ok to put in chemicals.

biju708

Oh what a night !!!!... yesterday I did my daily water tests and found out that nitrate levels were way too high and had a very low ph. I think I messed it up when I put in a live rock I got from our local water, I know very stupid from my part. Did a 70% water change yesterday I will do another test tonight and see how it goes. :coffee:

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
That Cyano may continue to be a problem since your using well water...Is it possible to acquire an RO/DI unit ? Also if I'm not mistaken an antibiotic is used to eliminate Cyano which can affect your nitrfying bacteria.

biju708

The nitrate and nitrates are going down I'm currently 10nitrite and 20nitrates, Yesterday I had a 20/40 . Cheeks I added Biobacter from Aqua Medics

http://www.aqua-medic.de/cgi-bin/php/display_product.php3?p_id=122&lang=en&cat_id=23

this was suggested to my by my LFS. In regards to RO/DI yes I can purchase one but I thought I could do without it since when tested the well water had very good results. I will see how it goes and then take it from there keeping in mind that the tank is only 2 weeks and a half old now.