hello fellow reef lovers

aquaholic33

Hello my name is danny. For about 10 years I breeded arician cichlids. After thanksgiving of this year we had a mayor storm move our way and ended up killling 80% of my fish. it took 3 days to get the electric back on. After the loss I closed down my 12 tanks and decided to keep my 180 and turn it salt. So far I have 1 yellow tang,3hippo tangs, and some damsels. I am looking for some live soft corals and zoo's for the ank now. I think i want just acouple more clowns and a foxface and then just hook it up with zoo's and zenia and other corals. If anybody wants to help out a begainner with some stuff let me know. I'll pay for shipping or pick up if your near raleigh.

Nice to meet you all.

BoomerD

I suspect, (if it hasn't happened yet), that you're going to have some SERIOUS aggression issues with 3 hippo tangs in the same 180. They may do OK when they're small, but generally, tangs of the smae species, or similar body shapes, DON'T get along for any length of time. Having multiple tangs in a 180 isn't difficult, but you have to mix up the genera and families to avoid aggression. I'd get rid of 2 of the 3, and maybe get a kole tang, or one of the other Ctenochaetus sp. tangs. Pretty non-aggressive, and perhaps the best algae grazers in the entire tang family.

mattie

RS Sponsor
welcome :)
boomerD is right about the tangs......
there are so many fish
i would recommend buying a book or 2 becouse most books say that in the aquarium setting tangs are aggresive towards same species
i am always surprised about the misinformation given at fish stores and i know it's not intentional but you can't get the best help for $6hr so invest $20 on a good buck that list's the fish and i would also tell you to get abook on the reef tanks in general it will save you so much time and money if you make real knowledgable decisions. before you take action.
have fun reefing

Craig Manoukian

Welcome, welcome, welcome! Kudos for being a good sport and open to suggestions. I've learned that a little planning and feedback will go a long way to eliminating 20/20 hindsight. That can be very expensive in this hobby. Witful is right, you can do yourself a huge favor by taking advantage of all of the information on this site. Not to grandstand, but you might find this helpful on the tang issue:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/just-starting-out-sw-beginners/566-so-you-want-tang.html

How long has your saltwater tank been set-up and what equipment are you using? A picture would be fabulous Danny! TIA

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Welcome to RS Danny !
If the Hippos or Regal Tangs are young enough it's very possible that in time you can have one dominant male with two females. How is their behaviour are they aggressive towards each other ? What about size, is it the same or is there a discrepancy ?