Hello All!

meandean45

Hello!
I guess that a few of you folks out there will know who I am from years past on the RAG. Been busy with other things (Job),and haven't had much time for the WEB. I have a 90 gal. reef that I've had for about 7 or 8 years now, with an eclectic mix of LPS corals, soft corals, Anemones, a Tridacnid Clam, a couple of Shrimps (Scarlet and Candy Striped) and TOO MANY fish. I'm hoping to have a little fun, learn something, and possibly help somebody if I can. Looking forward to renewing some old friendships, and making some new ones.
Meandean45:)

meandean45

Thanks Rougiem! I was looking at your' "School Tank", it looks like an excellent learning tool to me! IF our Science Lab had had one, I might have known a little about Biology BEFORE I got my first Aquarium! Of course, back in the early '70s even most universities didn't know what it took to keep a "Reef" alive. Wishimg you and your' students the best of luck!
Meandean45

meandean45

Gina and Woodstock

Hi!
Thanks for the welcome. As moderators, I was wondering if you might be able to direct me to some threads on Algae control when you are pulling your hair out because you can't find a reason for it? (Phosphate 0.5 mg/L, Nitrate >2ppm, Alkalinity 4.2, No ammonia or Nitrite, New bulbs 6 months ago, and a 4" sandbed that is 5 or 6 years old) Thanks.
Meandean45

meandean45

Thanks Gina!
"Green Hair". I got rid of the first problem bunch with the DSB. It isn't as bad as it was(totally overgrown), but I'm hoping to stop it before it gets that bad again. I read the thread that you suggested, and the Man Eating Bryopsis thread, and am thinking that I will try Rowaphos or Phosguard in a reactor. Thanks again!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Phosban will help a LOT and will eventually eliminate the nusiance algae... also, use ro/di if you don't already.

(I get my nick from the cute yellow bird in Peanuts ;) )

ReefLady

Staff member
Dean! Wow ... Don was just asking about you the other day. It's so good to see you here.

It's SO strange - Erik just got back (in the last half hour) from a birthday party where they had a guy come in with wild aminals - & one was a red parrot. He's telling me about it, and says *It looked just like Sadie, remember her, mom?* - and that was before I saw your post/PM. (Insert twilight zone tune here).

Anyway - it's great to see you. I'm sure you'll find tons of help here with the hair algae issue.

Got your PM also, will reply a bit later.

Talk with ya soon,

meandean45

Hi!
Thanks everybody! Ordered the reactor and Rowaphos thursday, hoping to recieve it soon. The sandbed is 4 or 5 years old, but I don't think that it is the problem. Would HEAVY FEEDING (ha ha ha) have anything to do with it (ha ha)? again, thanks!!!!
Meandean45