hello all

boozeman

I am thinking about setting up a reef aquarium, came across this forum and have been reading as many posts as I can daily. You all seem like a wonderful group of people and I am looking foward to the day when I take the plunge and set up my reef...but for now I am content just reading about all of your reef adventures! :thumbup:

Witfull

hey there, nice to meet ya. ive seen ya lurking, glad your enjoying your time with us. feel free to ask any questions.

boozeman

thanks wit,
I really like the look and space of the larger tanks...where do I shop for one? the local shops dont carry anything larger than a 55
seen some on ebay and was wondering if they are any good, they seem so inexpensive (ie:225 gal acrylic for under 1k )?

Snelly40

Welcome Boozeman,
Ebay might have some large ones but i'm always skeptical about their condition and you will have to find one pretty close b/c it wil be pick up only. My dad and i searched many LFS before we found one that would help him out, but typically the better ones will have some or will know where to get them b/c they typically will have them all set up. good luck buddy, its fun and becomes just a little addicting :LOL:

Little Luey

Welcome to the Sanctuary.
How big of a tank do you want? remember that the larger tanks take more $$ to stock, I had a 90gal back in In, and I had to sell it before coming to Az, but with the 6 pcs of coral I had on that tank I have a very colorfull 20gal now, maintenance is far better also.

Take your time and read a lot, look at the members tanks pictures and choose what you like the best.

Witfull

most stores will order it for you. you may have to pay up front or atleast half.

PS..i love Crown Royal~~

boozeman

*feeling the love* :)
after reading posted comments on tank sizes Ive decided that a 180 gal would be the best size to most comfortably reach bottom of tank....next step is to find a contractor to remove the wall where the tank will go and then to purchase the tank itself. Also need to get a digicam so that I can contribute my progress to the tank journal forum.

whew... I can see how addicting this can all be :LOL:

ReefLady

Staff member
Welcome! After many different size reef tanks, we currently have a 180g, and love it. Nice choice ~ you'll really appreciate the front-to-back depth.

Usually the LFS will not carry tanks in this size range, but they should definitely be able to order one for you.

Definitely get that digicam! :)

lcstorc

Welcome and warning. It is very addicting.
Read as much as you can before doing so you can avoid wasting money and time undoing what you did wrong the first time.
Happy reefing. :)
Lynn

cioutlaw

"Also need to get a digicam so that I can contribute my progress to the tank journal forum."

We like picures;)

180 would be a great tank. Dont forget all the extra maintnance that comes along with a big tank. maintaining 55gal tank is work...180 would be over 3x the make up water, water changes, cost of salt ect. even more if you have a decent size sump for that size tank. Dont want to talk you out of it ...just things to consider.