Heater placement and size

reefer gladness

Okay, my tank dropped just over 1 degree lower than it should this morning. I have about a 58 gallon tank and a 20 gallon sump with about 10-12 gallons in it so figure about 70 gallons total volume.

The heater is an Eheim Jager 150W and probably wasn't in the best position being on the bottom of my sump. I know these heaters are rated for a room kept at 70F but that's just not possible because I have 3 dogs and leave the back doors open for a good part of the day.

So I'm looking for some advice. I can relocate the heater up to the overflow area in the display tank, that might help a little. But I'm also thinking a larger heater would be good too just in case. I like the Eheim's but open to suggestions. Should I move up to the 200W or the 250W? Can't really go with a heater longer than about 17 inches.

SubRosa

A 200W Hydor inline will make you very happy. It will remove the heater from the sump completely.

reefer gladness

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately those inline heaters are only setup for vinyl tubing and even the 300W version only goes up to 5/8". My system is plumbed with 3/4" PVC so I'd have to put a couple adapters inline and it would reduce the flow from my return pump. Think I'll just stick with the tried and true Jager and bump up to the 250W.

A 200W Hydor inline will make you very happy. It will remove the heater from the sump completely.

R1junkie

I use 2x 150's in my tank which is not much larger than yours, less chance of frying the tank if one sticks on, but of course this isn't a problem if you have a heater controller.