having trouble feeding clownfish (picky fish)

IowaBoy

so when i first got my clown i fed it thawed brine shrimp, loved it...to cut down on budged and ammonia (extras for scavengers) i bought some flake food and well he just nips at it and barely eats it. any thing else i could try?

DaveK

Give the fish some time, and once you have it eating, try other foods. Clowns will eat almost anything if you give them a chance. Most will also eat flake food, but do try some of the pelleted foods, and other frozen foods. Fresh, raw, seafood from the supermarket is also good too.

molsen187

you could try mixing in the flake with some frozen. then when the fish is eating the frozen he may eat some of the flake and then you can slowly move to just flake. my clowns eat whatever i put in the tank lol. they are pigs. i only feed flake once in awhile though, mostly frozen.

sambrinar

make a mush.. go to the deli, get a raw jumbo shrimp, clams, scallops, muscles what ever they have.. total will under 5 bucks.. soak them all in r/o water including the flake (especially the flake) for 15 minutes, toss the shimp etc in a blender, chop finely... add some selcon and vita chem.. and waa laa.. much he will chomp that down

FYI frozen brine shrimp are about useless for nutrition unless they are "enriched".. you should thaw out all prepared frozen foods in ro water and rinse to remove phosphate

molsen187

when you thaw out the frozen food do you use that ro water to feed with? i use a turkey baster and blast the frozen in with tank water. i was just wondering how you get the frozen out of the ro water because i would think you wouldn't want to use that since the phosphate would be in it right?