Having a tank drilled?

I am moving my 180gallon tank in January and am really tempted to have it drilled. A local SW only shop will do it for $30 a hole. I want 2 of them on the back wall. My question is what is the risk level? How worried should I be? If it cracks I will be selling my fish and out a tank that I can’t replace. I am tired of my CPR overflow that sounds like a beer bong 24/7! My other question is that I am running 800GPH right now and will be staying with that so how big of a bulkhead will I want to get me over 800GPH so my pump wont outflow the overflow?

glampka

Go over to Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff - they have super overflows. The come as kits including the drill bit and are reasonably priced. I just drilled my 72 bow front & it's no big deal. Just be sure to take your time - let the bit do the work & be sure to lubricate the bit to keep it cool. Provided the back is not tempered you should have no trouble at all.

do its so easy, just take your time and dont put pressure on it. its as easy as they say. i have drilled 7 tanks and yet have one go bad, just be patient and keep the bit cool with a water bath or puddle. the thicker the glass the easier it is. my 180 has 1/2" glass, which thicker is better so i wouldnt worry one bit. i have drilled a few 40s my 2 75s and just to try it a 10. none have cracked......... dont be affraid, just be gentle. and it will save you 60 bucks. and use a overflow box like on glass holes, do not use stuff from lowes. i busted a tank by using make shift parts. use correct bulkheads, and parts and you will not have anything to worry about

Yeah, have a 75 I want drilled and local glass shop said $25 each. I'm worried too. Watched a few vids on youtube and it really doesn't seem bad. I got the tank for free and am cheap, so I might give it a shot. I saw one vid where a guy used Play-doh to make a ring around the area he wanted the hole and filled it w/ water - that way the bit was always cool. Seems like a good idea. Any other tips/tricks? What kinda rpm, etc? It should take like 2 minutes to do right?

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
The first hole I drilled I was very nervous, but when the glass popped out my reaction was that's all there is to it? Incredibly easy

To answer your question, a 1.5" hole will drain 750gph. I would advise two 1.5" holes and run it at 750 gph or there about (800 would be fine). Snails have a way of working their way into funny places and clogging up overflows. Having more flow capacity than flow will keep your carpet dry

put duck tape on the back of the hole you drill or else you will have a possible busted tank on your hands. i dont know why everyone is freaking out. its like washing the car. take your time and just do it. let the drill do the work, do not lean into it. i have drilled enough tanks that i dont think twice on any of them. even the 10 gallon ones