Have I been "had" by the LFS?

JT101

Thanks all.

Since I have been feeling better the wife & took the kids to Suffolk County Fish & Reef yesterday and I went away in awe of the place! Anyway, one thing that I was told by one of the staff there gave me a little heartache. He told me that, most likely, my sun coral is "not going to be with me for the long haul" because, as he explained it, the amounf of food that a sun needs is more than a tank of my size (an AquaPod 24) can absorb. In other words, I will wind up "poisoning" my tank by virtue of just feeding my sunny, which he said needs to be fed EVERY day. I would add that he wasn't trying to sell me anything nor was he offering to "buy" my sun, he was just offering advice.

Question is, how "honest" is his advice?

Thanks
John

vdituri

I have heard similar things. It is part of the reason I have started target feeding them. I used a med water bottle with the wide mouth on it and cut the bottom off. I then squirt the food through the top so the food is just for them.
1. I don't have to feed as much to get it into the polyps
2. No one else steals the food right out of their mouths.

JT101

Just wanted to post a follow-up photo of my sun coral (sorry this took so long, been very busy with work). This is about 2 hours after feeding it:

P1060176.JPG

Just a moment before I snapped this shot my cleaner shrimp just happened to walk right over some of the polyps which is why they closed down. Otherwise, it's doing great. Seems to really like a Cyclop-Eez "bat" twice a week, plus a shot of Kent Marine PhytoPlex.

reefman420

Thats crazy.the place i bought my corals from in iowa.I had to do my useall how many yellow tangs can i keep in a 30 gallon test.He said three should be fine.I nearly fell to the ground laughing.So i had to tell him i am actually a lil knoledgable in his hobby and u cant even keep one in a 30.lolI bought the corals anyway nice price.I also told the owner he neede to hire good help

GeeWizzItsMe

HAHA! 3 in a 30 gallon would be like pressing along the sides of the glass and poo would nastify the tank and stuff... ewww PS beautiful coral!!!