Has Anyone Successfully Used Hypo on an Orbicular Burrfish

Tanktified

Hypo on an Orbicular Burrfish

My Orbicular Burrfish has become progressively more lethargic and is now barely eating after 2 weeks using leebca's hypo process at 1.009 sg (calibrated Vital Sine SR-6 Seawater Refractometer). Has anyone on the forum treated this fish using this process? Crypt was mild and disappeared w/in 2 days, but the fish has steadily declined. Here is some background.

Fish was very healthy despite mild case of Crypt initially, but is now extremely lethargic, & reclusive. Some indications of increased respiration rate, but only at times. Not seeming to gasp for air. Fish is now hard to motivate to eat and getting his attention is hard (won't look at interesting things).

Feces have consistency of pancake batter (sorry for this visual association) and uniformly colored greenish yellow deposited in fairly large puddles. The fish's coloration is generally darker than normal, but occasionally a sickly pale. On rare occasions it's color is completely normal. No signs of secondary infection, cloudy eyes, slime changes, or frayed fins (I have a UV running on the tank). No parasites noticed at anus, but began 3 day oral Metronidazole in case parasites flared up due to hypo or stress.

Metronidazole treatment is frozen krill squeezed dry to make them more absorbent, then soaked in garlic and 100mg/tsp solution for about 15 min. Fed Day 2 of three day regimen today. Spit out last piece and sat there looking at it until I removed it a while later. No obvious affect on the fish yet, just continued lower energy and activity as before.

Water quality is good, though an occasional slight rise in ammonia has been detected (<.25 ppm) and is being controlled with 50% water changes and addition of prime. Wet-dry filter bacteria are apparently not fully active following the 4-day drop in salinity. Nitrite always 0, nitrate 5ppm.

Monitoring ammonia 3 times per day using API test we noticed that ammonia readings track higher with pH (see below) and are never quite zero once Prime is added to the water, even as it is aging before use. Many people have reported persistent low ammonia readings < .25ppm after using prime. The ammonia reading may be NH4 ionized ammonium captured by Prime vs. the non-ionized NH3.

The pH, measured continuously with a meter, was fluctuating 7.8 at dawn 8.2 by sundown. I found this was controllable by covering the aquarium during the day and adding small sodium bicarbonate solution additions to keep the pH about 8.0. Until we got the meter I nearly went crazy trying to understand the pH changes, which seemed random.

Tank has wet-dry 300GPH, half passing through a CoralLife 35W UV to achieve level 2 sterilization for crypt, just to reduce the numbers and improve redox. Setup includes some dead live rock for hiding and a thin sand bed; essentially a sparsely furnished quarantine tank. New carbon added 3 days ago.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Mike Johnson

I'm presuming you meant 1.009 sg.

You didn't state how big the tank is that the porcupine is in? They well be lethargic in a small tank.

Although porcupines are known to tolerate hypo salinity well - If it were my fish I'd slowly acclimate it to a higher sg before it dies.

Tanktified

Right it should be 1.009. I fixed the text in the OP.

What you advise makes sense, and there's not much else to try. Thanks for weighing in. I was hoping somebody would have used hypo on an OB and would know it is safe.

Changing sg up .0001 2x day. We'll see what happens.

Mike Johnson

You haven't stated what size tank the fish is in? And, .001 twice a day? Let's get it back up to 1.021 in two days. So, .003 twice a day. Take water out and replace it with water slightly higher in salinity. Can't tell you numbers without knowing gallons.

Tanktified

Seeing as rising SG can cause stress, I was opting for a slower adjustment per leebca and others who have written on hypo treatment for crypt. The good news is that he is slightly more active today. Which suggests you advised correctly to raise salinity.

Thanks for the offer to figure the salt.

Tanktified

To finish up this thread, we raised the salinity after about 2-1/2 weeks of hyposalinity. It has been 7 weeks with no trace sighs of crypt.

The fish did not get better after raising to normal salinity. He did get better when we changed from feeding metronidazole soaked krill to feeding Hikari Sinking Massivore pellets with Metronidazole. Each tablet was moistened with 2 drops of saturated metronidazole solution (about 100mg to 12 ml distilled water warmed sufficiently to dissolve the metro) and dried twice (total four drops), then placed in a baggy and fed one tablet per day for ten days. I believe this delivered a therapeutic dose for IPs where the krill soaked in metro did not. Ten days was given because he seemed to relapse after a four day course.