Happy Journey

beasone

Here it is .. our new 150 gallon monstrosity! I can't wait to see what the next few weeks bring!!!

I have questions..lots of questions! We will be putting in at least 3in of white sand.. and our existing live rock. Before we put in our existing live rock can we put in dry rock? Would love to be able to glue and set the way we want.. but everything I have read about tanks always talks about the benificial stuff in live rock.. and keeping live rock wet until you get it in your tank. So putting in specifically dried out rock (no critters - good or bad) seems like it would take a lot longer to cycle?

Attachments

• DSCF3654.JPG
    DSCF3654.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 73

beasone

I'm not sure anyone is paying any attention.. but here we are a week later. Cycling away.. a bit of ammonia going on and low PH but nothing more than that to report at this time.

Not really digging the rock set up to much. We do have a nice bridge shaped live rock in the other tank we think we might put in the middle under this.

DSCF3663.JPG
[/IMG]

TylerHaworth

As long as the dry rock is clean and free of anything that will wash off and decay, then you can add it in any time!

If it is still cycling, then I would definitely say to add any extra rock you want, even if it isnt completely clean of organic matter.

beasone

Rest of the live rock in... parameters are all about normal for two weeks in?

Salt 023.
PH 8.4
Nitrites 1.0
Nitrates 0
Ammonia 1.0
Alk Norm

Temp 79.4

DSCF3687.JPG

beasone

Guess I do have a question.. this is the first day PH has been good. I thought about getting tests for calcium and magnesium.. should I? Or should I only have to test for these if my PH is down?

I do have some concerns because we started this tank will well water (per LFS they said that was fine cause it was going to cycle anyways?) and my well water is very hard.

thoughts?

astiesi

Tank is looking great! I would suggest adding some raw deli shrimp to the tank, especially if you are using dry base rock. This will create significant die off which will result in a strong bacteria colony.

In my opinion I would definately make sure you have a calcium test kit once you start adding coral. A low calcium level will stunt the growth of coral. Also, the calcium level can be low even with a proper pH.

As for magnesium, I do not test for it. From what I understand a sign of low magnesium is having trouble keeping the calcium and alkalinity stable, as well as an excessive amount of calcium carbonate forming on equipment such as heaters.

beasone

I had a big one floating around in a netted bag for 4 days, and I took it out. I figured I was seeing the ammonia and that was good (showing my newbiness here)...is showing 1.0 in ammonia considered a 'spike'?

I am kind of worried about getting the critters out of the old tank now, as they don't seem very happy, so I thought if I took the deli shrimp out in would move the cycle along.... bringing back down the ammonia...

reefsmoker

I had a big one floating around in a netted bag for 4 days, and I took it out. I figured I was seeing the ammonia and that was good (showing my newbiness here)...is showing 1.0 in ammonia considered a 'spike'?

I am kind of worried about getting the critters out of the old tank now, as they don't seem very happy, so I thought if I took the deli shrimp out in would move the cycle along.... bringing back down the ammonia...

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ners/20945-just-exactly-what-cycled-tank.html
This thread might help, i was looking for another one but ran across this..G'luck

acemow

Looking good! I do like the rockscape. I think our well water may have some extra minerals and possibly some metal traces in it. My previous house was built in '02 and all equipment was PVC and plastic, no copper. I think you can call the utility department on the Cape and ask if there are any metals in our well systems. I can't remember if there actually is. I'm thinking you'll be fine bacteria wise after cycle. I did have RO system in my kitchen with the well water.
Any ideas on what you'll be stocking? Happy Reefing!!

astiesi

Since you do have ammonia showing up your tank is definately in the middle of establishing the necessary bacteria colonies. Once ammonia and nitrites are eliminated you should be good to start adding.

Since it seems like you currently have 2 tanks running, I would add the livestock from tank 1 to tank 2 in increments depending on the number of fish you currently have. If you add too much at once you very well may end up with another ammonia/nitrite spike which will harm your livestock. Depending on tank size and fish size, I would introduce no more than 2-3 per week and I would monitor ammonia and nitrite daily during this time. Of course if you are adding the live rock from tank 1 to tank 2 as well this will help the situation since the bacteria will transfer with the live rock from tank 1 to tank 2, helping the new bacteria colonies to adjust to the new bioload from the added fish. I hope this makes sense, it is almost 1 am here and I need some sleep.

beasone

Thanks Jeremy! You know I think I have read that once before.. definitely short-term memory issues here... once my thinking was refreshed I do feel like it is moving along nicely.. my ammonia is dropping.

And Anthony you make perfect sense! I don't have to much to worry about as I really only have a CUC and the carpet. No fishies - as I have had terrible luck there. My BF has promised me that bigger is easier. We only had a 33 long tank.. so we were looking at 20 gallons of water? I have learned a lot through that one, and I hope (pray) that we can make this tank something to be proud of . :)

beasone

Oh and Ace! Nice to hear from you again!! I'm in with the well water now.. if things start to go a rye I will have something to blame it on!! (NOT that I want that to happen, PLUUUUEASSE!!!:tongue:

beasone

Added the rest of the live rock today. Just waiting on the numbers to go down and will move in a CUC. yeah!!
IMG_0072.JPG

beasone

thought I would check in and let you know how it's going.. all is well! Numbers are all 0 and Nitrates at 20ppm.

Temp seems to have evened out at 79.8.

DSCF3700.JPG
[/IMG]

beasone

thought I would check in and let you know how it's going.. all is well! Numbers are all 0 and Nitrates at 20ppm.

Temp seems to have evened out at 79.8.

DSCF3700.JPG

beasone

Added some more clean up crew today to take care of the diatom outbreak.. and it seems to be doing the trick. Either that or it has run it's course..
Have some furry red and green on one rock too! Good? Bad? Not sure :)

My first and favorite fish.. yellow faced pearly jawfish.. has made his home.

I think the next fish will be a Kohl eyed tang... :) The Tank is Good!

DSCF3733.JPG

DSCF3719.JPG

beasone

oh, and yes that silly carpet is back up on the glass near the top of the tank.. when we moved him he got all comfy in a nook and I thought great! He is happy.. Not sure why he likes it up there.. maybe more lights.

I do plan to make a list of all the equipment etc.. just haven't gotten to it. We do have a balist (sp) out, so BF has to fix that.. but you would think he would have enough light??

beasone

Just thought I would put an updated pic. Have had lousy luck with my baby jawfish.. they were just disappearing. Will have to wait till I can get a bigger one. Other than a rose bud anemone hiding under a rock all is well.
DSCF3750.JPG

yungreefer2410

jawfish are jumpers. you should cover the tank. you mean you just keep adding more and more jawfish? how many gallon is this tank?