Hammers

Roxy

I just purchase a hammer coral can any one tell me how to take care of it. I read just a small portion of hammers. I know that they can burn an hobbist. So I was very careful. But would like some more info on them

cecilio

Hi
Hammers Are Not Very Easy, I Have A Pink And A Green Non Branching; I Have Them For A Month And Are Looking Good; What I Did I Placed Them Over Rocks 8 Inches Above The Top Of The Sand And Wiyh Medium-low Current I Feed All Corals With Oyster Egg And Golden Pearls 100-200 Microns; The Golden Pearl Is Quite Cheap You Can Buy Them At Brineshrimpdirect; The Other Food Oyster Egg Is Quite Expensive, If You Buy The Golden Pearl Look At Their Site Under Gp100
If I Can Be Of Further Help Let Me Know

ReefLady

Staff member
One of my favorites. I'm gonna have to disagree with cecilio on the feeding though... sounds like water quality issues on the horizon to me. Hammers really don't need supplemental feeding given enough light. Keep your CA and ALK in check, provide moderate flow, and you'll be rewarded with a beautiful and happy coral.

The only time I feed mine is when I happen to be feeding other corals, I may throw a squirt in the hammer's direction - even then, I doubt the usefulness of doing so.

T

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
With proper lighting, soft gentle flow, and the food you normally feed your fish they'll do well but if you want to see them grow exponentially then they will need some meaty items. I feed my Hammer occasionally some small pieces of raw Shrimp, scallop, squid etc.

ReefLady

Staff member
Robert, you actually observe your hammers feeding? I have kept one specimen for over 3 years and have never seen it take in food...

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Yes Travis I actually place small pieces of fish meat on all of my Euphyllias, Fungia, Brain, Ricordias etc. Their growth will be dramatic so you need to either frag or make alot of space for them otherwise DEATH...lol.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Mine take food also. They quickly pull the food to their mouths. The only LPS coral that I have that does NOT take food is my fox coral.

Dakota

I have a branching hammer with 30+ heads on it that orginally started out with 2 heads. i find this coral very easy to keep and i also will put small picecs of shrimp on it when I feed my cleaner shrimp and anemones. Is about the size of a basketball of larger. i would say it is in mediem -high but soft flow and is under a 250 mh lifgting.