Hammer and Elegance

The elegance looks even better today, a bit slower to open in the centre and it has given off a little bit (small) of white goop, for lack of a better word.

Can anyone tell me if there is a coral that can sit beside my hammer without risk of being stung? Maybe you know elegance coral, is there a guy out there named hammer?

Did the "white goop" look anything like these curly white things, or spider webs?
sn854147edited.jpg

or this?
elegancecloseupedited.jpg

Kathleen

Did the "white goop" look anything like these curly white things, or spider webs?
sn854147edited.jpg

or this?
elegancecloseupedited.jpg

It was more like a spider web. Also last night it secreted some brown stuff out its mouth, I read that this is excess zooxanthellae and maybe a good thing? One head is now totally open but a part of the other head is still closed up, she is still bright green in the centre and most tentacles look purple/pink.

The guy I bought it from email back and said its from Indonesia.

That's what I figured after you said it discharged white goop. This is not good news. The white goop is mesenterial filaments (it's guts). They only discharge these in drastic situations.

You will most likely notice the center of the coral covered in excess slime in the mornings. Keep this removed by fanning your had over the coral. This slime can harbor microbes that cause infection and can smother the coral.

If you notice the area between the mouths and the tentacles swelling, and the tentacles withdrawing, try reducing the amount of light its getting. If it only happens late in the day, just reduce the amount of time the lights are on.

Indonesian Elegance corals are VERY hard to care for. They are damaged goods when we get them. If they survive, it can take years before they fully recover.

I have been flamed off this site, twice, for trying to help people with these corals, so I will leave you with that. Good luck, and I hope it pulls through for you.

Kathleen

That's what I figured after you said it discharged white goop. This is not good news. The white goop is mesenterial filaments (it's guts). They only discharge these in drastic situations.

You will most likely notice the center of the coral covered in excess slime in the mornings. Keep this removed by fanning your had over the coral. This slime can harbor microbes that cause infection and can smother the coral.

If you notice the area between the mouths and the tentacles swelling, and the tentacles withdrawing, try reducing the amount of light its getting. If it only happens late in the day, just reduce the amount of time the lights are on.

Indonesian Elegance corals are VERY hard to care for. They are damaged goods when we get them. If they survive, it can take years before they fully recover.

I have been flamed off this site, twice, for trying to help people with these corals, so I will leave you with that. Good luck, and I hope it pulls through for you.

Well Thank You very much for all of your help. I will take your advice and post at a later date as to the outcome.