Hamilton 14k

Does anyone out there have experience with this bulb? Good, Bad? Its almost time to replace the xm 20k and i would like something a bit brighter. Thanks is advance
-Austin

mps9506

the DE or mogul based bulb?

The DE appears very good, I don't have any experience with them however.
The mogul based appear dim to me. Check out www.cnidarianreef.com to compare pictures and PAR measurments on that bulb compared to other 250 mogul based bulbs.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Try the XM 10K's or some of the newer coralvue bulbs....i am in the boat of halide fishing and i think i am going to try 1 of these two.

www.inreef.com is where i suggest you buy from.

there's something to say about someone who stands behind the product they sell.

Regards,

i was looking at the comparison on reef central and the 14ks were not in that comparison. I see that the 14ks are pretty dim with even less par than the xm 20k on my ballast. I like the xm 10k, but does anyone think it would be too extreme to jump from a 20k to a very bright 10k. I know i should slowly lengthen the photo period after switching. Another concern i have is the heat the 10k will throw off. A 10k bulb will throw off more heat than a 20k right? Thanks
-Austin

mps9506

Originally posted by AustinReef
i was looking at the comparison on reef central and the 14ks were not in that comparison. I see that the 14ks are pretty dim with even less par than the xm 20k on my ballast. I like the xm 10k, but does anyone think it would be too extreme to jump from a 20k to a very bright 10k. I know i should slowly lengthen the photo period after switching. Another concern i have is the heat the 10k will throw off. A 10k bulb will throw off more heat than a 20k right? Thanks
-Austin

They will both give off just about the same amount of heat,
XM 10k is a very intense bulb, I would recomend putting a peice of gfiberglass screen or light diffuser between the bulb and water for about a week to help acclimate.
Mike

captivereefs

Sponsor
Very nice color and quality. I would only run one in 250 watts or 400 watts though. THe 175 watt version is a little weak!

Welcome back Darin.
XM 10k.
Personally Captivereefs aka Darin is IMO the best person to buy from.. not only discounts for the members but the fastest ground shipping I ever received and the best customer service hands down.

mattie

RS Sponsor
i have the 250w/icecap 14k hamilton on my tank and my friend has the xm 20k/pfo i swear the same color and about the same light output and the xm cost's a lot less.. but i am very happy with the light even if it cost 30% more for the bulb alone

captivereefs

Sponsor
Thanks Dave good to be back!

Hamilton does put a 6 month limited warranty on there bulbs as well. Not sure about the XM'S though.

Thank you for your input everyone. I think i have decided on a bulb that gives me the best of everything. Let me know what you think. After looking at the 250 watt comparison at cnidarianreef.com, and this site :
http://www.coralforum.com/reference62.html
I have decided to go with the Sunburst 12k. I dont want a very bright tank since it is in my bedroom, but i want something just a bit brighter and with a bit more PAR than the xm 20k i have now. I like the looks of coralvue bulbs, but i dont like the things i hear about these bulbs causing bleaching. The other bulb i would possibly consider if i could actually find a distibutor that carried it would be the Sun Aquatics 10k. I will post pics as soon as I get the new bulb screwed in. Thank you for the help everyone
-Austin

mps9506

Thank you for your input everyone. I think i have decided on a bulb that gives me the best of everything. Let me know what you think. After looking at the 250 watt comparison at cnidarianreef.com, and this site :
http://www.coralforum.com/reference62.html
I have decided to go with the Sunburst 12k. I dont want a very bright tank since it is in my bedroom, but i want something just a bit brighter and with a bit more PAR than the xm 20k i have now. I like the looks of coralvue bulbs, but i dont like the things i hear about these bulbs causing bleaching. The other bulb i would possibly consider if i could actually find a distibutor that carried it would be the Sun Aquatics 10k. I will post pics as soon as I get the new bulb screwed in. Thank you for the help everyone
-Austin
I hope you like it. when I first got into SPS, I had lots of people tell me the Sunburst was not a reliable bulb on certain ballasts, I have not really heard much of them in the last year.
For whatever it is worth, I have a coralvue side by side an AB right now. I honestly have not had an issue with the coralvue bulb, and will still recomend both bulbs to people.
I will admit that I have not had as good growth with the Coralvue as I do with the AB. I honestly think you would be happy with a 14k CV bulb.
I personally am contemplating an Aquaconnect 14k for my next bulb, although it is pretty pricey, I'm thinking I might be happier upgrading to 20k HQI's instead.
I agree, I wish I could find the Sun Aquatics, I can show you a side by side pic of a burned in CV 10k and burned in AB if you want.
Mike

mps9506

I dunno if this will kelp ya out at all...

Here is a pic of CV 10k side by side an AB 10k
It's hard to tell the difference b/c the PFO reflector mixes the bulbs very well.
379two_bulbs.jpg

Here is the CV 10k by itself
It is not as bright as the AB, and actually now that it is about 6 months old or so, it isn't quite as white as the AB, it's bee a long time since I had these bulbs on individually. The colors on the corals actually appear more vibrant under these bulbs however.
379coralvue.jpg

Here is the AB, it is about 4 months older than the CV, still brighter, apparently still whiter. The color rendition isn't quite as good as the CV however.
379ab.jpg

Like I mentioned before, I'm thinking of trying the aquaconnects next time through.

mps9506

Right now I have only found them at Premium Aquatics, but there is a waiting list. Apparently they are supposed to be in I think next week. I'm just going to wait until they are more avaliable, and hopefully go down in price...
Mike

mps9506

The coralvue 14k that you recomend; Is that the same bulb as the 15k that is tested at cnidarianreef.com?
Honestly I'm a little confused about it.
The places selling CV bulbs sell a 14k, I'm thinking maybe it is a new style bulb after all the complaints they recieved with the intial bulbs. I think intially they released a 10, 12, 15 and 20k.
Maybe give Joe an email just to make sure it was a 15k and not 14k. I think it was an older bulb he tested that is not being produced anymore.
Mike