Haitian Anemone

Kimmy Su

I have a Haitian Pink Tip Anemone. I woke up this morning to find the anemone inside itself. I waited a while to see if it would come out...it barely moved. It was crowded under some live rocks. I moved the seemingly sickly anemone to the center of my tank, where there is abundant light. It seems to be much happier and the bleached white color is starting to turn more tan.
I have read some comments of this anemone but more negative than positive. I used to have 2 clowns but 1 died. I only have the misbar clown now. I plan on getting it another friend soon.
Did I make a mistake on this type of anemone? The people I got it from says it's the most peaceful of anemones to have. Is this true?
:confused:

reefer gladness

Unfortunately most LFS employees are not very knowledgeable or honest - or both. The nem you purchased is one of the more aggressive nems in terms of moving around and battling other corals. But that's not why your nem is doing poorly.

Tell us more about your tank please. In particular the lighting and age of the tank. Nems require very strong lighting, a mature aquarium (one year for newbies, maybe 6 months for the experienced aquarist) and very stable, pristine water conditions.

Have a turkey baster on standby to suck out the remains if it dies.

reefguy

These are not peaceful. I have one in my 8gal bio cube and has to be by its self because it killed everything it touched. Also it is under LEDs and has been hard piped to my 2 yr old 75 gallon so the tank stays stable. This is not an easy undertaking and I would do what I could to bring this back to the lfs and see if they will let you trade it back. I am almost sure it will die kimmy, I am sorry to say.

Make sure you do your research before you buy items from the LFS. Not trying to be rude by the way. I had to learn the hard way also. Tell us about your tank. How old, lights, Rodi water? And your parameters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kimmy Su

I have since been reading up on this anemone....I now feel my boyfrien made too hasty of a choice. Though it is a pretty creature. I checked with the people I got it from, it isn't guaranteed. In other words they won't take it back. Only fresh water. So if it dies I guess I will have learned my lesson.
I know the s/g is between 1.023-1.024. My boyfriend did the rest but I'm not sure what they are. We have an LED bar light. It has both day and night lighting. I'm not sure how long, if any, should I use the 'moon light'. It's when I use the moon light, is when the anemone hides. It is now kinda hanging under one of the rocks. I don't want to move it, to not stress it.
I think my boyfriend is a little over zealous about the tank. He used to own a saltwater tank years ago with seahorses and all. The tank we have is a 20 gal. Maybe 3 months. It's too soon for an anemone, isn't it? Too small for any anemone?
I know I'm talking all over the place...we also have a 20-30 gal. carbon filter, a protein skimmer and a CP2 circulation pump. Used RO water, there is nearly 20lbs of live rock, crushed coral (floor). The tank mates are: pulsing pom pom xenia, green galaxy coral, 2 plants, 1 pajama cardinal, 2 bangaii cardinals, 1 extreme misbar clown fish, scooter blenny, 1 cleaner shrimp, turbo snail, 1 file fish, 1 sm blue damsel and 1 six line wrasse.

Snelly40

not sure you have enough lighting, might need more details on those... but anemones do sometimes ball up at night then expand during day light again... as mentioned above, they are aggressive but can be quite pretty, I got mine for like 14 bucks and knew what it was so I keep it separated and just like the looks of it... good and sticky he eats a ton

Attachments

• condy.jpg
    condy.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 55

Mike Johnson

8 fish in a 20 gallon! And a LED light bar for an anemone - what light is it? Also crushed coral as a substrate? These are the issues that need to be addressed.

Kimmy Su

I assume by Mike Johnson's reaction, the LED light bar is wrong for the anemone, I need sand substrate instead and too many fish? We go to an owner of a store that is an expert in saltwater. He never said that I had too many fish. The sand substrate was mentioned.
What type of lighting do you suggest?

reefer gladness

I assume by Mike Johnson's reaction, the LED light bar is wrong for the anemone, I need sand substrate instead and too many fish? We go to an owner of a store that is an expert in saltwater. He never said that I had too many fish. The sand substrate was mentioned.

Some LED's are capable of supporting a nem and some are not, the light bar suggests one that is not but if you can post the model we can tell for sure.

Crushed coral used to be very common as a substrate but has earned a rep for trapping detritus and being responsible for higher nitrates in the water. Aragonite sand is the preferred substrate most use today.

Always remember the LFS is trying to sell you something. They will sell you fish too small for your tank, too many fish, poor equipment, etc. all with the hope it will lead to more purchases.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF

Sorry you are having issues with your anemone. Hang in there & think about getting yourself a larger tank if this hobby is one you love.
Most fish stores (unfortunately!) won't advise you that you are over your tank's fish limit as they like to sell you more fish & everything else your heart desires.
Stick around this forum & let those with more experience guide you to having a successful reef tank.
We're all glad you checked in & wish you & your tank the best as we learn together. :)

Steve L

Light probably has a lot less to do with your problems than your water parameters. You need to decide if you want a fish only tank or something that will support an anemone. In a 20 gallon tank you can't really do both if you plan on having more than a couple fish. Nems require a well established tank (1 plus years old) and absolutely pristine water conditions which means no nitrate at all if you want it to survive, and low nitrate simply isn't possible with more than a couple small fish in a 20 gallon tank without heavy filtration and very frequent water changes.

Most fish sellers know the odds are good that anything they sell you will die within a year and you will be back to buy something else. They count on inexperienced impusle buyers that want what looks pretty, which is why their tanks are usally well stocked with fish and corals that no experienced person would ever buy. Unfortunately, sellers that are honest and try to do things the right way usually can't make enough money to stay in business. It's a sad reality in our hobby.

Kimmy Su

Thanks everyone for the input. I do plan on sticking around this forum. I've been on others without responses. I will do what I can with what I have. Hopefully the tank will last a while.
I will check in, soon probably, for more info.
The name on the light bar is Fluval. It's the mid sized one, for a 24-30 gal tank.

Snelly40

fluval led is most definitely a fish only light bar...

"Product Description

Size: 48-Inch

The Fluval Ultra Bright LED Strip Light has three rows of 7K LED Daylight Bulbs to produce similar light intensity if a twin tube strip light but uses less energy. The light is excellent for fish-only marine tanks or freshwater, low-light planted tanks (such as crypts, Anubis and java fern). The 7K LED band provides better color rendering and a natural shimmering effect. Both ends of the light have extendable leg supports that expand to fit wider tanks. The light has a single power cord and a single switch that allows either all LEDs ON, only the blue LEDs ON (for simulated moonlight) or OFF. The Fluval Ultra Bright LEDs are designed to last 20,000 hours, providing over 5 years of lighting under normal operation. "

Steve L

Thanks everyone for the input. I do plan on sticking around this forum. I've been on others without responses. I will do what I can with what I have. Hopefully the tank will last a while.
I will check in, soon probably, for more info.
The name on the light bar is Fluval. It's the mid sized one, for a 24-30 gal tank.

It depends on which Fluval LED you have. They make a sea and marine version which I have on my 70 and a smaller one on my daughter's 30 gallon. They work great for soft corals and I have no complaints so far. We're both getting tons of new growth. Fluval also makes what they call aqualife & plant freshwater performance LED lights which would not be suitable for anything other than a fish only tank as Snelly40 mentioned. I don't currently keep anemones but I wouldn't avoid one because of my Fluval lighting system.

reefguy

I would buy a correct LED fixture or MH light setup. Then go to RODI water rather then RO. I would also do weekly small water changes to try and keep your water as clean as possible. You could get away with a under performing light if you have perfect water. The nem will not grown but won't die as fast. If you happen to have a polishing filter like a 350 mag or can barrow it from a friend I would use that. To get the dissolved organics out. Your key is going to be to get your water as close to perfect as possible so you can try to at least keep it alive long enough till you get a new light or till you can trade it to someone for something you might need. Sorry if I sound harsh just trying to help.

That's my 2 cents.

Mike Johnson

I'm sorry that my earlier post might have been viewed as harsh. I was preoccupied and rushed. I was hoping that the others would pick up on it. You have eight fish, used to be nine, in a 20 gallon tank. All of the fish that you have are recommended for a minimum 30 gallon tank. Your fish grown up will be 24" of fish. An example, I have 7 fish in a 120 gallon, with actual size now of 26 total inches. Opinions of how many fish per gallon vary from one inch per two gallons to the more commonly accepted one inch of fish per five gallons. Either way you have way too many fish in a 20 gallon tank.

If your saltwater expert store owner gave one hoot about you he would have never sold a difficult anemone to someone with a new tank, especially a small tank with eight fish in it.

I wish you the best and I would recommend 1 or 2 gallon water changes, skimmed off the top of the water, twice a week.

Also I would make a mark on the side of your tank where your full water level is and top it off in the morning and night in order to keep the salinity stable.

Kimmy Su

Thanks for the great info. And you're forgiven Mike J. :) Umm. I will take all this into advisement. We are thinking of going to 2 tanks, so down the line we can thin out what's in the current tank. Hopefully by then the fish will still be doing good.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
If you love SW tanks, then never give up Kimmy Su! It's a learning process that never ends but it's very rewarding.
I started out with gal.size fruit jar and 6 or 8 guppies that a nice neighbor lady gave me as a child. I killed all of them & she gave me more, LOL!! I musta been a cute kid :LOL: (I never had a successful fresh water tank!)

Your picture didn't post, I use photobucket to post/host pictures http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ay-post-pics-photobucket-nanoreefing4fun.html
Hope you get it to post!! Would love to see your fish!

Nightfall

If you love SW tanks, then never give up Kimmy Su! It's a learning process that never ends but it's very rewarding.
I started out with gal.size fruit jar and 6 or 8 guppies that a nice neighbor lady gave me as a child. I killed all of them & she gave me more, LOL!! I musta been a cute kid :LOL: (I never had a successful fresh water tank!)

Your picture didn't post, I use photobucket to post/host pictures http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ay-post-pics-photobucket-nanoreefing4fun.html
Hope you get it to post!! Would love to see your fish!

+1 Kimmy I was fresh water tank and went hardest possible tank and made a nano 3 gallon. My pride, joy, and constant worry now! These guys here are amazing and more than right. The LFS is out to sell things, the one where I live though does help his customers out, only salt water store in city and been around 15 years with an in store HUGE coral reef tank. He has sold me some items that had issues but has gone out of his way to make it right and look after me. Not being in my house he can only act on what I tell him after all. That being said no matter how "honest" and helpful LFS owner is if someone wants to overstock and buy 60 fish then they will sell them 60 fish...they are out to make money.

I took got an anemone and in my petite tank he is open and appears happy now but has had many....phases...and for that reason I have been talking to him about returning it....he does have a maxi mini carpet anemone I can swap it for if I wanted but I know they do not host fish and infact can be worse than the one I have now. So might just swap to replace my poor recently deceased clown and maybe a bit more cuc and leave the anemone to the much more experienced buyers and tank owners. I have alot more to learn before I should have one and will even if I decide to get one do ALOT more research on them. I am lucky my LFS will take things back if they dont work out, but there is no guarantee on life span.

Stick with it...if you check out my chronicle you will see I did EVERYTHING COMPLETELY WRONG from day 1.....so far 1 snail has disappeared and only empty shell is left and the clown dying (was due to PH dropping suddenly and before I could get it stabilized it was dead or killed). If my tank can survive with all my blunders you will be ok. Just keep checking here for advice and input, and as I am learning...ask and wait for replies before making future LFS purchases. See what you want, use phone camera to take pic, come home and post here with question if right for your tank and get the best FREE input you can ever get.

Ok my version of Reef Sanctuary commercial is over...we now return you to your regularly scheduled aquarium. :swmfish::sinking::threadjack: