Hair Algae Eating Fish

Popup

I have had an outbreak of HA and other macro algae in my tank. I have tried to attack it at its source, but with no results. Are there any small fish that will consume the algae in my tank?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
What is your setup? Tangs are usually the big algae fish but seems like that would be too big for you. Mexican turbo snails are my choice.....they are great.

When you said you tried to attack at the source....lights, nutrients? What are your readings? Thought of doing a black out?

Popup

I don't have a phosphate test, but id imagine that I have a high amount. What I meant by attacking the source is doing frequent water changes, twice a week, with RO/DI water to try to lower phosphates. I was also running skimmerless for a while too. I have a 30 gallon tank so a tang would be out of the question. What I think caused the HA in the first place was that I made a newbie mistake, Iwent away for 2 days and forgot to close the blinds.

Tha DJ

Need to check your phosphate levels, I found turbo snails and hermit crabs keep the algae in check in my tank. They do eat it

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
What are your nitrates? I would also recommend the phosphate test.....best to know what you're dealing with.

Assuming the "non-closing of the blinds" caused it, you should be able to knock it down with a good algae crew and water changes as you are doing......but yhigh nitrates and phosphates can fuel it for a while if you don't test and address that first. Can you turn your skimmer back on? That will help. Cut back on feedings and lighting schedule if at all possible.

Check out John at http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/saltwater-fish/www.reefcleaners.org ........he is the CUC man and has great stuff. if you email hin with your tank, inhabitanbts and problem, he can recommend a CUC for you. I would suggest staying away from adding another fish to fight the HA.....you're better off fighting it with good water and a lack of nutrients.

Good Luck!

Popup

My skimmer actually broke when I first set up the tank and the on that I got a few days ago is working hard at the moment. My nitrates as of yesterday are 5. I am going to my LFS on Tuesday and I'm gonna pick up the test and a bigger CUC.

Tank you for the help :)