Guerry's adventure in breeding

rgfast

Well everyone I've started a small breeding system, this is something that has not been quick to just jump into. I started by first reading many good books as well research on-line, also I didn't just have pair in DT that were laying eggs and think this would be cool to try LOL. I have five bonded pairs at this time all of which I purchased as juv's. so this is not going to be an over night success, I'm in it for the long haul. As of now my largest pair is 3"1/2 and 3" in size which I'd have to say are adults now and the pair I watch the most. At this moment all pairs are Ocellaris and I've just bought my first pair of designer clowns which are SA Black Ice. For what it's worth it took me awhile to come off the hip for them, needed to make sure I was in this for real. Thow I have had any spawning events I have cultured phyto and rotifers just to make sure I could when the time comes. Here's some pic's of my little set up to date

IMG_1205_zpsc89bf205.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0480-2.jpg

IMG_1169-1_zpseb706084.jpg

IMG_1159_zps3b181d9f.jpg

IMG_1191_zpsaa47c963.jpg

IMG_1189-1_zpsb4e3d22e.jpg

IMG_1188-1_zpsad252934.jpg

well thats all I've got for now, just I'd share my fun!

yungreefer2410

Looks like a great set up! Have you thought of adding maybe some macro algaes or soft coral to make the environment a little more natural? I don't know if this would make the fish more likely to spawn, I'm just tossing around ideas.

rgfast

I've just up graded their lighting this past week to LEDs so now they enough par in their tanks to support anemone's which I ordered two so far and should see by end of week

rgfast

They do make noise, but I think it's pretty much the norm for a breeding system and its not like their in the living room LOL

rgfast

well everyone it took a year starting with Juv. clowns but we are now on our third clutch in the last thirty days, The first clutch was pertty much a bust due to pilot area on my part. I had build a lavrae collector that was more suited for shrimp than fish, after only catching a few fry we designed new collector which worked great and we able to capture over a 100 fry for larvae tank. today we have 5 juvs. which I feel good about being first go at this. Today we had a much larger and better looking lay so in 8 days we will find out if we've learned anything with a larger survial rate. The losses we had on past clutch were do to tranfer and airstone that stop working while I was at work, all things that we are working on to make sure they don't happen again.

rgfast

the pair that have been laying are standard ocellaris, I have three of their clutches growing now with new hatch last night. I'm getting better at this LOL I'm skipping BBS and going from rotifers to TDO octohine A from Reed with great results. My biggest problem has been keeping nitrates down in brood stock system with feeding 4 times a day, I've added Matrix to sump and jus built ATS which has been only running for a week now. I've also been thinking of trying Kaldnes K1 media just waiting to see how well ATS works for now, nitrates as of now are running at about 20ppm to 15ppm after water changes which I've been doing bi-weekly