Grindal worms

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Yes! They are a little smaller than the White Worms that I am growing now for mine but I couldn't find a White Worm Culture start so I started with the Grindal Worms. I really don't kniw if one is better than the other but I like the White Worms better just because they are a little bigger & my fish don't miss a one when I feed them. :yummy: :yummy: :yummy:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
DianaKay-Why not black worms instead of Grindal worms?
I've never found any black worm cultures for sale. My dirt is black, how do you harvest black worms easily?
I try to keep 2 seperate boxes of White Worms reproducing to feed my fish in case one crashes.
Do you grow black worms?

jaws789832

Black worms are cultured in fresh water. To harvest them i just use a pipette and squirt them into the tank. You can also stow them in a fridge where they will last about two months with no food and an occasional water change/rinse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NanaReefer

No I don't grow them. Just order them through our LFS. I was more interested if you preferred one over the other. From personal research the Black Worms are a better live food source. I never heard of the Grindal :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Well that leaves me out for feeding the Black Worms because the closest LFS to me is a 90 minute drive. So I'd have to be able to culture my own. It sure sounds like easier feeding than white worms tho because they are in water already instead of dirt.
I learned about feeding White Worms from Paul B (here at RS :D ) ...I am very thankful that I did because after I started feeding live worms: My clownfish started to spawn regularly. Not that I'm into raising baby clownfish (I am NOT) but it indicates they are healthy & happy. :thumbup:
ef6f3208332efbabcdb6dbf9d887fb54_zps6ef743ec.jpg
c81ade7cb208b80d878c4a6add2b26a9_zps60995c01.jpg

Now I'm wondering if my Green Chromis (I have 3) will ever start spawning :ponder2:
The Chromis have grown to a BIG size but I have no idea how to tell if I have males/females or both. :dunno:

NanaReefer

I may just look into the Grindle myself. Seem to be much easier to culture/maintain than the Black Worms. It's hard for me as I've only 3 fish-lol-and I'm a stickler for not wasting.

rufus2008

I love your video Diana!!!! Thanks for responding. I received my grindal worm culture in the mail 2 days ago (eight days in transit in the Canadian winter) and it appears to be alive. I wasn't sure at first but when I checked it the following day I see signs of life. I can't wait for mine to mature (28 days) so I can begin to feed to my tank. I'm hoping my mandarin will be able to feed on them too :heart: