Greetings

Zatar

Have kept saltwater fish for 30+ years but got out 10 years ago when tank cracked...now back in with a Max S-650 and looking forward to trying coral! Cheers, DD

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Welcome!! You certainly did jump back in with the 650 but I like it. Big tanks are awesome but be sure to do the proper planning!

Zatar

Thanks! As the old saying goes, "Go big or go home!" Quick question, I am using Red Sea Reef Mature Pro Kit to cycle my tank, but the NOPOX if giving me problems. Will the tank still "cycle" if I stop dosing the NOPOX? Thanks!

Blue Space

Welcome to RS, Zatar!

Glad you decided to take the plunge again. It's crazy how fast the time has gone by when I think back to where it all started. I got into it for the coral and then have slowly eased my way into fish keeping, lol. I think you're really going to like learning how to keep coral if you haven't before.

Last edited:

Blue Space

Your tank will cycle without NOPOX. I'd say save the NOPOX (and the hard earned money you spent on it) for after you're tank is cycled and you've added a fish and a few hardy coral... You will get diatoms (that yucky stuff on your rock and sand) as a NORMAL part of this process.

Here's a brief synopsis of the nitrification cycle: Ammonia gets processed into nitrites and then finally into nitrates by the benificial bacteria you introduced by adding a piece of shrimp or any of the off the shelf products. Nitrates are the last step in the cycle process.

So, just let the tank cycle. Test every couple of days and chart it if you'd like to monitor the cycle process. You should see the ammonia spike first and then gradually decrease, followed by a rise in nitrites and then it too will decrease as the population that processes nitrites increases. Finally you should start reading some nitrates - cycle complete. So, when you get done do a water change and start adding a few hardy coral and a fish (go slow).

Now you have to figure out how to manage the nitrates and phosphates. Cue the NOPOX. Hope this helps. :)

Last edited: