Green Star Polyps Wont Grow?

Reef Wall

Ok, so I have serched the posts and all I find are post about how,"Out of control," their GSP's are. "They won't stop growing." Well I have the opposite problem. They wont grow. They look good, and healthy. They just wont spread. I have a tree coral and a Duncan and some mushrooms that are doing excellent. I have a some green hair algae growth in the aquarium ( I think from running my MH too long, 12hrs per day) but no other issues. Let me know if you can help me out. Tank and testing info below.

40 Gal
coralife 65 skimmer
live rock
live sand
1 green chromis
1 fire fish
1 maroon clown
1 royal gramma
1 sand sifting star
2 cleaner shrinp
assorted snails and hermit crabs

Temp 75-78
salt 1.023
Calcium 300 ppm
Carbonate Hardness 8 dkh
nitrite 0
ammonia 0
nitrate <10
Phosphate 0

I too can't seem to get my GSP to grow... I have the same parameters but a higher salinity.

Could it be something with water flow?

Reef Wall

I have two power heads in the tank. I will adjust them and see if it helps. My calcium is a little low, but I don't think it is too low.

I forgot to mention lighting.. 175 MH with a 15000k XM bulb.

landshark

Your Calcium is very low, I think it should be in the 400 to 500ppm, It's acceptable to keep a tank anywhere from 1.023-1.025, although I personally feel that 1.023 is a bit low. :read:

I too am trying to increase calcium xD You can use 2 part calcium supplements or use kalkwasser. (I'm researching the kalk at the moment)

molsen187

the two part solution is the best for raising calcium imo. the kalkwasser works but is much more of a pain i think. i wouldn't worry about the gsp not growing. some tanks handle some corals better than other for no apparent reason. i've never been able to keep xenia alive in my tanks but can keep acans and stuff like that.

tnwillia

What salt are you using? I do weekly water changes and I don't dose the lowest my Ca has ever been is 490. It normally stays above 500. I've used both Red Sea Coral Pro and SeaChem Reef Salt. I'm going back to Red Sea and their new Coral Reef salt when it hits the US.

Where are your GSP mats? I kept mine high and in high flow and they grew like weeds. I took them all out a few months ago and still have patches popping up around my tank. Xenia & GSP were the two corals that grew like weeds in my tank regardless of my water conditions. Good luck!

Reef Wall

I can't keep Xenia's alive either. I wonder if it is related? I buy premixed water from the LFS. I am not sure what salt they use, I will ask.

DaveK

In this case the calcium level needs to come up quite a bit, and the salinity is a bit low.

Increasing the salinity from 1.023 to 1.025 will increase calcium about 8% or about 24 ppm. This demonstrates how much salinity can effect the other parameters. In other words, you got to get that right before you mess with the other parameters.

While I like two part solutions for modest increases in calcium, here we want to increase calcium by 100 to 150 ppm. For a large increase like this, I prefer using calcium chloride.
This should not be used on a regular basis, just very occasionally when you need a large boost.

To get back to the original issue of growing green star polyps. I find they seem to like a fairly large water flow, and light that isn't overly bright. Mine do really well under the shadow created by the center brace of the tank.

A few things to check for. Green star polyps don't like any dirt or algae or other material on them. They also don't like nuisance anemones near them, and can slao suffer from the "chemical warfare" that goes on between corals.

I would also make a partial water change, and filter the water with carbon and see if the perk up. If so, you may need to do more in your water change schedule.

rgfast

I run my tank at alk.9 dk cal.440 mag 1300 with salt 35ppt. gps speading as well as all other coral. the brand salt I use Sea Chem AqauVitro Salinity IMO the best on the market batch spacific guarnteed analysis.I do 12% water change weekly

sambrinar

Keep them high in the tank and in high flow. Let me know how you fair, I have a TON. Careful what you place them next to they are agressive and will sting other corals

like sabrinar said, my GSP's are at the top of my live rock structure right under the output fan from my filter. The water flows just above them, not right at them, and the light right above them. They are happy as can be. I also agree, 300 is the min. you should have for calcium, i'd raise it. I use a pre-mixed water from my LFS (pbly instant ocean), and all I do is put in some Seachem Calcium plus liquid once a week and My Ca hovers around 420-450.
good luck!

now, if i could just figure out why my happy tree coral is all closed up...