Green Star Polyps turning silvery white.

Pawlu

I dont know if anyone said this. The buffering capacity of RO water is low (should be zero) so measurment of its pH is almost meaningless. You could breath on top of it and lower its pH. The top off water should not have any long term lowering effect on your tank. Maybe briefly right after adding but the tank pH will quickly return to its original pH.

steve

True, good point, but i must be adding additional strain to the overall buffering capacity of the tank, especially when the pH is already low as it is and my alkalinity is on the low end of the spectrum.

Pawlu

I suggest you watch the BRS video that goes along with the kalk package. The first step in any dosing regimen is to get the magnesium level correct.

I will take a look at the video thanks, my Magnesium is 1340 which is correct as far as my research goes.

Pawlu

I have started dosing of Kalk and increasing pH by about .02 to .03 increments, my questions is once I reach my target pH in the display tank how am I going to get it there and how am I going to avoid pH fluctuations with water changes? My fresh salt mix only has a pH of 7.8, I heard that adding buffing chemicals to salt water mixes is only a temporary fix, any tips or suggestions, I might just start a fresh post on this to stay on topic.

Mike Johnson

You can slow drip a gallon of limewater overnight in 8 - 10 hours. I prefer to do it the easy way and use it in the top off.

Snelly40

^^^ agreed!
I have a 10 gallon ato and I mix kalk into that and as my tank gets topped of it slowly adds the kalk/ro watwr

Corvus

Mine just up and died about a month ago. It was lush and spreading. Along with my hammer coral problem, I will do an emergency ph test pronto. (although the LFS told me that was ok). I'm suspecting ph....

C.

PS What is the IDEAL ph?

Pawlu

8.0 to 8.3 my pH was in the low end 7.7 and over time things started to go south, i now keep a stable ph of around 8.1

Pawlu

ujyzupeq.jpg
. You can see the same GsP to the far left of this shot.

Corvus

8.0 to 8.3 my pH was in the low end 7.7 and over time things started to go south, i now keep a stable ph of around 8.1

The best way for me to maintain 8-8.3 is....?

I will post tonight after I get home no let you guys know what my LFS found when it tested my water's ph.

C.

Corvus

Ph is 8.3. That ain't the reason. It's pretty much receded now that the lights are out. Move it back higher in the tank?

C.

Pawlu

Well light and flow can also play a role in my case i did reduce light intensity (whites mostly) and increased water flow. As long as the polyps are opening it should recover. I have lost GSP before for reasons i never figured out.