Green Spotted Puffer

DesertOrchid

I acclimated mine from freshwater to saltwater in about 6 hours and they lived for 3 years. Miss them as they had quite the personality. Enjoy your new buddies!!

davidwillis

My puffer kept going down my overflow into my sump, so I decided to fix my over flow so he cant. While I was fixing it I had the safty cover off my powerhead, and he got sucked in...:cry1:

After making sure everything was safe again, I decided to try another GSP. But this one seems a little funny, like he can't see. He runs into rocks, coral, the glass (he goes up and down the glass), he even ran into my hand. He darts all over like he is crazy too. I am worried about him. The first puffer I had seemed much more normal than this one. I am afraid he has something wrong with him. He did pick out a few pieces of food yesterday, but today he is just laying on the sand most the time. Also he was very easy for them to catch at the store (like he didn't see the net coming), he didn't even try to avoid it.

DesertOrchid

Are it's eyes even a little cloudy looking?? Some where long ago I read an article that GSP's are prone to fungal infections and it shows up on the eyes first. Just a thought......
Sorry to hear about the demise of your other puffer... that is really sad but remember....Number one fish rule...... fish die :( Live and learn, share the knowledge and keep on fishin :)
Good Luck with your puffer adventure.

davidwillis

His eyes don't really look cloudy, but he looks really bad now. I thought he was dead, but then he darted out, swimming in bursts.... I think it is more than his eyes... Maybe I acclimated him too fast, should I put him in a tank with a brackish salinity for a bit, or is the damage done (if that has anything to do with it)?

DesertOrchid

Sorry to hear he is looking so bad.... I don't think putting him back to brackish is going to save him...sometimes they just don't make the adjustment if it is already a diseased or stressed fish and changing the salinity might just stress it out more. I'll hope for the best.

davidwillis

Thanks... He is still alive (I moved him into the sump so he can rest without being picked on). But he does not eat or move.... I wonder what is wrong with him.

DesertOrchid

Sorry no idea. The unknown is always the most frustrating with this hobby. I recently had 2 angel fish die on the same day...other fish were fine, water parameters perfect no real reason so it makes me uneasy and I keep watching the tank for other symptoms. Hope your puffer improves now that he is confined.

DesertOrchid

I'm sorry your pupper pish died :( I have a grandaughter not much younger and they can sure say the cutest and darndest things at that age. You don't even realize they are paying that much attention to our activities and crisises till they say these sweet things. Will you be trying another one puffer after awhile? Hopefully the next one will be healthier right off the beginning. I was thinking about getting one but then looked at my fishload and it has a lot of chromis so I guess I wiil wait.

R.I.P. Pupper pish

davidwillis

Well I picked another one up today. I watched them for a while, and picked one that was eating, and swimming around. His belly is white, and he has bright green on the top of him. He was one of the smallest in the tank, but he looked the healthiest.

I am acclimating him right now. But one thing that has me a little worried is that when I got him home I checked the pH, and salinity of the water he was in, and the pH was 9.0. Isn't that high? My reef tank is only 8.1-8.2. I put him in a little tank in my sump (separate from my tank water, but will keep the water temperature the same), and added a small amount of tank water to his original water from his bag. I raised the salinity up from 0 ppt to 3 ppt, and the pH came down to 8.4 (that is a fast drop in pH). He seems fine though. I feed some food, and he ate a little. I will add some more tank water in the morning, and keep doing that to slowly raise the salinity up over a week or so.

davidwillis

Thanks. Salinity is up to 10 ppt now, and he is doing good. Ammonia is raising a little, so I am going to have to start doing water changes.

davidwillis

The puffer is in the tank and seems to be doing great. Other than he doesn't seem to be able to see the glass, and keeps running into it. I know he can see though, because he eats fine, and does not run into rocks, just the glass.