Green Hair Alge

how in the world do i get rid of the green hair alge in my tank befor it takes over
i have a yellow tang thats doing no good a sally lightfoot and 2 green enmeral crabs.

HELP HELP HELP ME PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

BoomerD

BEST way is to starve it out. You have to find the food source, and eliminate that. PLUS, running a good GFO type of phosphate reducer in a reactor helps too. (phosban/Rowaphos, etc) but the BIGGEST thing is to eliminate the source of the nutrients..if you don't, nothing else will make much of a difference...
How big is the tank?

BoomerD

There are a couple of sea hares that will eat hair algae, but they will get pretty big, and once the HA is gone, it becomes a challenge keeping them fed. MUCH better to control the nutrients and starve it...

BoomerD

Have you tested your RO water output? TDS meters are dirt-cheap...
http://sunstoneherbals.com/testers_ph_tds_etc.htm

I won't disagree that it's probably time to at least change the cartridges...the membrane may still be fine. I have a Spectrapure unit that's over 15 yrs old with the original membrane, (non-DI) and it still makes water with a TDS of less than 15...

Jakets

I find the best way is to pull it out by hand. I know it sounds like a lot of work. but if you have eliminated the cause pulling what you can by hand will redoes it enough so that your clean up crew can take care of the rest

J