Green Chromis Bullying

Charlie97L

Ok I have a pair of green chromis... one is starting to pick on the other after about a week. I haven't seen any nipping, just a lot of chasing and attempted nipping. I know they are schooling fish... if I get a 3rd one do you think that might calm them down?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Hard to say, maybe, maybe not. I had several at one time but the chasing got on my nerves so I took them back to the lfs.

addict

Yes, you definitely need to add more chromis or you'll be down to one before you know it.

Chromis are best in schools because then a pecking order can be established, and the sheer amount of fish in the school spreads out the 'picking' by the dominant chromis so that it doesn't overwhelm any single one of them.

However, when you only have two chromis, the dominant one bullies the submissive one constantly until usually it kills it.

They're fun fish to watch when they're small, but keep in mind that they're essentially a damselfish, so in time they'll get an attitude like most damsels. Their one redeeming quality is the fact that even though they get an attitude, it's only directed at one another, and not at any of the other fish species.

KimPossible

Hey Charlie,
I had the same experience. My first fish were 2 green/blue chromis.
The pecking began, I read and ultimately decided to add another. As soon as I did everything calmed down. There is a bit of running around every now and again, but it is mild like children.
Their one redeeming quality is the fact that even though they get an attitude, it's only directed at one another, and not at any of the other fish species.
I have noticed this. I can't think of a single instance of agression shown to another of their tank mates.

Charlie97L

thanks guys... i've heard that also if i get another one, the first two will gang up on the other one. hard to say i guess.

Adnuces

Funny I had 5 of them and they ganged up on a clown that I added afterwards. They ultimately harrassed the poor clown until it died from stress. They would constantly charge at it and drive it down into the sand. It was horrible and they wouldn't let up. I then got another larger clown and the proceeded to do the same with it but by then I had had enough and spent the better part of a week trying to extricate them from my tank. They are happily making someone else's live hell as I type.....my tank is now a peaceful place.

Dragon Wrasse

Had three green chromis and within a few days I was down to one, they killed each other off, and then the last one just disappered one day??? maybe the filter monster got him??? I'm with Adnuces....No chromis and a peaceful tank.

Charlie97L

Dragon Wrasse said:
Had three green chromis and within a few days I was down to one, they killed each other off, and then the last one just disappered one day??? maybe the filter monster got him??? I'm with Adnuces....No chromis and a peaceful tank.

ahha, yeah i think i'm going to rid myself of them this week when I get my clowns... any suggestions for a good water column "swimmy around a lot" fish?

blondie323

I recently bought 3 of them but they have no time to chase each other, my nigger triger is the one doing the chassing.

octavian

Charlie97L said:
Ok I have a pair of green chromis... one is starting to pick on the other after about a week. I haven't seen any nipping, just a lot of chasing and attempted nipping. I know they are schooling fish... if I get a 3rd one do you think that might calm them down?

All damsels are evil.

:verymad:

octavian

Charlie97L said:
ahha, yeah i think i'm going to rid myself of them this week when I get my clowns... any suggestions for a good water column "swimmy around a lot" fish?

Got any anenonme's? (Did I spell that right?)

If so, what kind?

Charlie97L

yeah i've read those, great info! are clowns water column fish? i thought they were "sitters" ... maybe i'm wrong :)

Woodstock

RS STAFF
My clowns never venture far from their host.. maybe a few inches.

How about a few purple firefish? Do you have a tight lid/screen/canopy on your tank..they are jumpers.

Charlie97L

i have a canopy, but it's partly open. i could put an eggcrate over it with no problem.. would that be enough coverage? i do like those.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
With a canopy plus an egg crate, yes, it should work. There is still a possibility that one could jump through the egg crate and out the back of the canopy... but I would guess it to be a very slim chance.

Charlie97L

Woodstock said:
With a canopy plus an egg crate, yes, it should work. There is still a possibility that one could jump through the egg crate and out the back of the canopy... but I would guess it to be a very slim chance.

alright... yeah the canopy is only open in the back about 3", basically so you can get wires in and out of the tank. i'll look into those... i'm trying to keep every thing calm and not eating/killing each other.

Charlie97L

BYE BYE Chromis!!! i only had to take out about half my LR to do it. got em cornered by the overflow and both in one scoop! :)

ok so now my fish are 1 bangaii, 1 sixline... and a whole lot of space. :)