green algae

pyro627

After a couple months of work I have my nitrates and phosphates down to zero for a while now. The algae is still sticking around. Do I need to scrub it all out to get rid of it or will it slowly go away. I picked most out by hand but the rest is still hanging around, no more is growing it's just not going away.

aquaman3680

Just because the phosphates dont show up on your test kit doesnt mean that the phosphates are actually zero. It just means that your algae is using up the phosphates so fast that it isn't showing up on the test kit. This isnt always the case but it does happen sometimes

Good luck

Matt

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
As you reduce nutrients the algae will go away but you can speed up the process by scrubbing and removing as much as you can but I don't know how big of a job this will be for ya.

lcstorc

Removing the nutrients is the long term solution. Removing the algae is a way of removing excess nutrients that have already been absorbed by the algae. So manual removal will definitely speed the removal of the algae from the tank. Keeping the nutrients out of the water will help keep it out or at least give it an environment where it will not thrive.