Green Algae Overrun?!

MarbleShark

Ok I am wondering something.. what can I get that will work on the Green Algae that I have growing all over my tank on the glass? I already have 3 Mexican Turbos. Water parameters are good. I might need to cut down on the light cycle but when I started to do that the Anenome was not happy.

What will make short work of this algae?

kyle1284

are you using ro/di water? how big is the tank? what are the parameters? what all is in the tank? how often do you feed? There are a number of things that you can do to rid your algae! :)

MarbleShark

are you using ro/di water?

No but I have had my water tested and nothing abnormal with it. Ro/Di is on wish list.

how big is the tank?

55 Gallon

what are the parameters?

I do not have the exacts here at work but everything was where it should be level-wise.

what all is in the tank?

Yellow-Watchment Goby
Diamond Goby
Foxface Rabbitfish
Coral Beauty
3 Firefish
1 Skunk Cleaner
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
3 Mexican Turbos
A bunch of Nasarius
1 RBTA

how often do you feed?

Daily.. some mysis shrimp and a little krill.

Maybe JFK Jr will rent you his Sea Hare!!!!

Would they really work on the glass that well?

BrothaWolf

Ya they are supposed to be awesome. But Sea Hares aside.... You only have 3 turbos and some nassarius in your clean up crew? I have 2 turbos, 12 or more nassarius, 5 margaritas, 5 nerite and 8 or 9 ceriths in my 29 gallon and I want to add a few trochus! There are also a few stomatella (sp?) and a bunch of colonista hitchhikers... You need to pump up your snails!

MarbleShark

Ya they are supposed to be awesome. But Sea Hares aside.... You only have 3 turbos and some nassarius in your clean up crew? I have 2 turbos, 12 or more nassarius, 5 margaritas, 5 nerite and 8 or 9 ceriths in my 29 gallon and I want to add a few trochus! There are also a few stomatella (sp?) and a bunch of colonista hitchhikers... You need to pump up your snails!

What would you recommend? I like the Sea Hare idea.

BrothaWolf

What would you recommend? I like the Sea Hare idea.

All the ones I have are good. All go on the glass even my nassarius every once in a while but not a lot. Ceriths are great. They go all over the place... glass, rock and sand. Margaritas work well also they are like little turbos. They are supposed to be from cooler water and not do as well in our tanks but mine are goin strong for 6 months now. Nerites tend to clean the upper glass. No experience with trochus but they are supposed to work well also. Ive stayed away from the astrea because they cant right themselves if they fall over. How bout some Scarlet Hermit CRABS!!! If you have a lot of algae I would get 2 - 3 dozen snails. See what your LFS has or order from one of our sponsors. Ive found Premium Aquatics keeps a good stock of everything.

swissgaurd

what kind of salt are you using, i had a ton of algae in one of my tanks,i switched salts and algae dissapeared
vic

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The algae problem is due to nitrate/phophate levels, how often are you doing W/C's and how much ? Which skimmer are you using ? What are you dosing ? Do you have a refugium ?

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
Maybe JFK Jr will rent you his Sea Hare!!!!

:lol: ... did I mention my Sea Hare totally rocks?
227.gif

Seriously though... I'm about to post a retake of the picture that I posted in the Sea Hare thread.

It's amazing... he's wiped out all of my macro algae!

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Hey Norm, how long now since the melt down?? think your still cycleing and this is, I think, is fairly normal considering you bioload, waterchanges,carbon maybe some rowaphos? it will come and go for at least a year.Steve

lcstorc

I two get aq film of green algae on the glass. Never had it before I got my MH lights, but in all honesty a few minutes with the mag float takes care of it so I don't worry too much.
I do have a number of various snails in the reef but what I end up with on the glass is snail tracks through the algae. So really I just mag float it maybe once a week or so or if I am going to take pics. :)

Paendora

:::joining the JFK Jr Club::::

My Sea Hare ROCKS!!

I've caught my six line wrasse eating snails (but I keep buyin' em anyway) Nothing bothers my Sea Hare and he mows down everything.

Nevertheless - make sure the algae isn't indicitive of water issues.

Susan

lcstorc

I really need to find one of those sea hares. My lfs has been out for several weeks since right about when JFK started his thread.
HMM maybe more RS members in Cocoa than I knew.

MarbleShark

sasquatch said:
Hey Norm, how long now since the melt down?? think your still cycleing and this is, I think, is fairly normal considering you bioload, waterchanges,carbon maybe some rowaphos? it will come and go for at least a year.Steve

I don't think it is still cycling.. it has been since October that all of that happened and I never had a spike in anything. I test my tank everyweek.. the same day ever week.. and the levels have not changed at all. I am actually really proud of that.

I keep a bag of carbon and a bag of the white stuff to help with phosphate in my sump with water running through that.

I do water changes every 2-3 weeks. I am due for one now.

I am trying to track down a Sea Hare but no luck. The price range on those guys is kinda amusing. One guy wanted $11 for it when he gets it and another wanted $32.

I am going to be getting some Zoos this weekend. I am excited.

P.S. I would love for you guys that have the Sea Hares to post some pictures of them.