Greatings from Sin City

VegasReefer

Hello everyone. Been lurking in the shadows for a bit. Reading everything I can till my eyes either bleed or calloused over.

As you can probably guess from the title and my SN, I am form Las Vegas Nevada. ( or as I like to call it LOST WAGES ) About 20 years ago I had 3 tanks. All saltwater, DSB. One FO 55 Tall with built in Wet/dry Skimmer. One FOWLR 110 with a W/D sump + macro farm ( what a Headache that one was). And one 32 Reef.... Well almost reef, Ran out of money before I could get any specimens, and went in the army.

Fast forward to today... I have 0 tanks and want to get a couple ( who can really only have one :grind: ) I am looking at starting with a 260g (48x30x24) ( it is LxWxH/132 for gallons right?) to go next to the fireplace ( never lit, can't afford the gas bill ) I want to make this one a FOWLR. The 30" deep will leave me 18" behind the tank to add electronics, and there is a 60x48x48 open area underneath this built in shelf for a Sump skimmer. I already have started collecting equipment for this Set up
Iwaki WMD30RLT Water Pump ( closed loop )
Oceans Motions Squirt ( wave maker for closed loop. Will attach to spray bar across back of tank, 2 outlets blowing up and over the LR, and 2 outlets blowing against the Returns from the sump)
28x18x18 sump with small Fuge area. Need a Skimmer and a Return pump.

Still need to get the tank. =) I have access to a Great acrylic tank manufacture in town ( ATM ), but I had acrylic before, and the scratched up fast. :help1: I was wondering if Glass tanks where actually better than acrylic.

After that is set up and running, we have plans to renovate the Living room/Family room some time next year. This is actually one HUGE room 52 feet long by 17 feet wide with 20 foot vaulted ceiling's. There is a Wall and support / cross beams in the middle of the room with a False wall covering part of it, about 10ft high 12Ft long. I want to put a Tank that is visible on both sides in this wall. I was thinking of 96 or 120 x 36x 30 Setting about 42" of the ground With new built ins to finish it off. This will keep the Separation my Soon to be ( wife / ex depending on how she views my ideas ) wants, and the openness I want. This Tank will take a Lot of planing. I talked to ATM about building this set up, and they quoted me $12000 ( 96x36x30) out the door, no animals, just sand a OK LR. I have a feeling i can do a bit better sourcing the equipment my self ( they listed lighting at over $3000 just to give an idea) I would like to get this under $5k if posable. Even if it meens sacraficing the first tank to make it happen.

That should give you all an Idea of my madness. Hope to talk to you all in the future. Hope more to have a NICE picture Diary here of what is being built / planed.

VegasReefer

Thanks. I am trying to make sketches and figure out what and where to put things. This is going to be fun now that I don't have a Mentor any more.. My one friend that kept a reef Skipped town. His wife keeps calling thinking I know where he went. So if any of you are from Vegas, and want to give so local pointers, I would be happy to listen.

BTW I see where I went wrong in my math Its LxWxH/231 not 132 That makes the tanks a Bit more manageable =)

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
VagasReefer, Welcome to RS! Dont worry about the mentor, we will all help, put a list together and Im sure it will get sorted out for cost savigs.Steve

boozeman

:welcomera to RS
those are ambitious plans!
keep in mind that at 30'' high, if you go full sps you will need strong lighting.
another thing to keep in mind is the cost of running such a large system (you mentioned not having enough money for gas)...on the plus side, it sure would be a sweet looking tank :D

and about your friend skipping town...remember what happens in Vegas...stays in Vegas :invisible

lcstorc

Welcome to RS! Lots of friendly helpful people here to help you out.
Sounds like you have some great plans.

VegasReefer

Thanks for all the replies. The Gas thing was a just a joke. I worked out the Costs on the small tank. The larger tank will go in after some electrical mods. Adding a 2- 4 K PV solar to the house. That should cover a portion.
Again thanks for the kind words. I am going through the DIY pages, so I am sure I will have some questions comming for all of you.