Great deal on a frag tank...

Jeremy0322

It actually doesnt look too complicated to make, especially for the size. I might try to make one just to see if its really as easy as it sounds. I could get everything made out of lexan actually, and it would be uber free for me...lol

reefer4200

if i find $100 im going to pick it up...:) can i just run the overflow to my sump and add another pump to loop it??!?! will this mess up my current system? anyone

Jeremy0322

if i find $100 im going to pick it up...:) can i just run the overflow to my sump and add another pump to loop it??!?! will this mess up my current system? anyone

That would work fine, it would add water volume to the system and make the frag tank much more stable! All you would need to do is match the return pump for that tank with the flow rate for that tank. Give me a minute and I will get the numbers for you real quick...lol.

Jeremy0322

It would add 17.3 gallons of volume to your current system, and if that is a 1 inch bulkhead than its about 600gph because that looks like its about 5 inches on each side of the overflow, so 10 inches total would more than support the 1 inch bulkhead.

Amnestia

it looks like 1/4 acrylic maybe 3/8 but that thing will definitely bow sooner rather than later with no bracing on it.

Jeremy0322

it looks like 1/4 acrylic maybe 3/8 but that thing will definitely bow sooner rather than later with no bracing on it.

well, the Lexan I was talking about is much stronger than that stuff, and I would probably feel the need to support the corners with small triangles or something of that nature.

Amnestia

Def make a posting when you get that tank going i'd be very interested. The price of lexan is not much more than cell-cast acrylic and even cheaper if you're getting it for free!

Jeremy0322

Def make a posting when you get that tank going i'd be very interested. The price of lexan is not much more than cell-cast acrylic and even cheaper if you're getting it for free!

oh yea, its what i make my overflows out of, my grandpa uses the scrap lexan from his job to make this stuff for me, it should take about 2 days to get the pieces I need. You should check out my build thread in my signature, you can see the overflow there!