gray on sand

chip46

34 gallon tank ammonia is still at .25 nits are at .2 was using dw but have switched to r/o water now. Changed 8 gallons of water last week, getting ready for another 5 gallon water change for tomorrow. I scrub the lr before I change the water. lights are off 24 7. Cycling since January the 14th. Now I have GRAY substance laying on the sand and on parts of my LR . Any idea what this is ? Tried to take picture but did not show up very well. sorry

jjohnson3

Does it look like cyano...but only grey? If so then I am interested too because its on my sand and rock as well.

sambrinar

can you post a pict? Grey webby stuff doesn't ring a bell here?

BTW why are you changing the water during the cycle?? no need you need to let the tank cycle or you will prolong it. You need to let it spike to build up the bacteria so the tank can maintain the livestock

chip46

does not show up on pictures very good. only grey laying on the bottom seems to have a web or a light slime holding it together. some alage that is on lr turned grey too.

lcstorc

I don't know of anything that would be gray. Diatoms are more rust colored but that could be it. They generally show as a dusting on the sand and rocks. If that is what you have they should gradually go away with water changes of good source water. They are a stage most new tanks go through.
I also question the water changes during the cycle. I think the cycle is much more efficient if it is left to do it's thing alone with the aquarist monitoring.