GPH / Head Pressure

MarkW1230

I have a question…. If I have a pump with a ¾” output and step it up to 1” and use 90’s will this help reduce the head pressure?

Thanks,
Mark

cbrownfish

I have a question…. If I have a pump with a ¾” output and step it up to 1” and use 90’s will this help reduce the head pressure?

Thanks,
Mark

Your question is worded in a way that makes it difficult to answer. Going to a larger pipe will reduce "pressure", not volume per se, but I am not sure why you want to help that process. Pressure is the force of the water flow and volume is the amount of water that flows through the pipe. If you increase pipe size, you won't change the volume but you will decrease the pressure - in theory. Are you trying to reduce the amount of water flowing from a return pump? If so, install a ball valve post-discharge and throttle down the pump that way.

MarkW1230

Your question is worded in a way that makes it difficult to answer. Going to a larger pipe will reduce "pressure", not volume per se, but I am not sure why you want to help that process. Pressure is the force of the water flow and volume is the amount of water that flows through the pipe. If you increase pipe size, you won't change the volume but you will decrease the pressure - in theory. Are you trying to reduce the amount of water flowing from a return pump? If so, install a ball valve post-discharge and throttle down the pump that way.

Reduce pressure for more volume.

My idea is if I make the pipe size larger, step up, from the return pump and have 90's, 45's or T's will this reduce the head pressure so I can get more volume.

Mark

DaveK

Reduce pressure for more volume.

My idea is if I make the pipe size larger, step up, from the return pump and have 90's, 45's or T's will this reduce the head pressure so I can get more volume.
Mark

Well, you will get a slightly better volume of water moved, and it will help if you need to run the water through a lot of L and T fittings.

So it will not hurt to use a somewhat larger pipe and fittings, but you also may not see much in the way of benefits.

Keep in mind though, that you can't overcome any limitations of the pump itself.