Got Sand?

I have been concidering buying sand off of ebay. From the guy that offers the free cheto and LRR with every purchase of 30 or 50 lbs of sand. I wanted to see if anyone has ever or knows any one that has ever bought sand from him before. Just want to know the quality and if it went well.
Thanks for any responce...

cbrownfish

Make sure it is aragonite and not silicon based. There is a test you can do with vinegar when you get it.

BEELZEBOB

id just say no.

go to the store and buy carib sea agri-sand.

its bonafied good stuff, no questions

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Ditto to Bob :)
Also, remember that anything 'wet' should be QT'd prior to adding it to your system.

BEELZEBOB

it would just suck to buy all that sand and have it turn out to be not what you need.

if no one has ever bought from that sellr, its a BIG RED FLAG.

really wouldnt risk it. there are no cheapo shortcuts in this hobby. and i bet you'd get what you pay for. NOT MUCH

I bought sand from that guy . And ended up throwing it all away . It looks Ugly has a Brownish look to it not very white like it says and looks like Southdown sand wet and free snails you dont want in your tank . there the bad ones and are from north caralina shores and like 67 deg water . i cant coplain about the cheato thou it was cheato .

i would not do it . I would buy Carb-sea sand , I like the Fiji Pink Sand , WOW its WHITE and LOOKS LIKE REEF SAND not BEACH BROWN SAND

BEELZEBOB

ill reiterate, if you want cheapo shortcuts, this is the wrong hobby.

save up and do it right the first time. then you dont spend and do everything twice

reefsurf

not sure where u live but i'm in san diego and i have about 15 extra lbs you can have. i'm just starting my 34 solana and have some leftover.

cbrownfish

From another perspective, wet sand weighs MUCH more than dry sand. 10 pounds of this sand may only be 6-7 pounds. I would highly recommend buying dry sand (Caribsea or similar) and "seeding" it with a few cups of sand from other reef keepers tanks. It would also be seeded by any live rock you add. That way you can chose from the various grain sizes and make your ideal mix.