Got my skimmer today

Well I purchased the aquaC Remora w MJ 1200 but it was a guys wife selling it and either she forgot to send the oring with it or she didn't have one. Either way I've got to come up with a new ring. Sucks cause i was really excited to get it up and running, in the mean time since i have to wait for the new oring, i may as well order the preskimmer for it and just sit and wait for it too. lol.

lcstorc

Glad you got a good skimmer. Sorry about the O ring. Can you use a large rubber band or something short term? If it is the one I am thinking of it is used to adjust the height so it doesn't have to seal anything.

Yeah, i've done some reading and its just used to adjust the height on the collection cup. Thanks for the swift response, i'll try the large rubberband for now and order a new oring.

zeus_roush

when i used a cpr backpak my oring broke so i just jammed a wood shim in to hold the collection cup at the level i wanted it.

Well, along with the oring missing the skimmer didn't come with the manual. So I'm actually having trouble figuring out how to hook it to the skimmer. I've tried searching the posts on here for help but have yet to find anything, also look at the online manual but it really didn't help me. If anyone can find a diagram or give me some advice please help. Thanks.

funkpolice

be careful when you get it up and going. The first night I had mine, it pumped 20+ gal of water onto the floor. After the break in period it's been great. The o ring just goes around the collection cup and holds it at whatever level you want.
bill

Up an running for two hours now. Producing alot of microbubbles. Fish freaked for about ten minutes but everything is back to normal. I've got the collection cup in about halfway with the oring placed in the middle of the cup of course. Picked up an oring at ace hardware for a couple bucks. Hope it breaks in well and doesn't dump any water any where. Should I turn it off at night so it doesn't have any mishaps during the night or just leave it running and pray it works just fine?

lcstorc

During the break in I would turn it off when you can't watch it. All skimmers get funky at the beginning. The air bubbles would also be a symptom of a skimmer breaking in. Give it some running time and it will settle down and you can determine what level is best to run it at. Mine I keep the O-ring about half way up but different tanks and decisions about how wet or dry to run can make a big difference.

lcstorc

Oils from the skin while handling it will force another break-in period. It is oil from manufacturing and handling that creates the break-in period to begin with.

I technically bought it brand new, just got it from one person that bought one and ended up not using it cause they ended up not using it. Just got home from work. Turned it off over night and just plugged it back in, everything's running fine. I'll have it running for about 14 hours total today and then turn it off at night again when i go to bed.

***UPDATE***
Skimmer's been up and running for a couple days now. Picked up some really good foam and brown sludge the second day, not much the first day of course, but after 5 days of constant running its consistantly pullling a good amount of waste out. Ive got the collection cup almost all the way to down, skimmer's a little noisy but not too bad after a while and for the amount of crap its collecting I can turn the bose system up a bit on the tv LoL. Was wondering about the microbubbles, for any Remora owners out there how long did it take for your microbubbles to subside? Mine is still producing alot but its only been running for almost a week now, still producing enough that the water looks almost cloudy lol. Turn off the skimmer and the water's crystal clears cause the microbubbles subside. Thanks everyone!

funkpolice

I never got many bubbles with mine, but it was noisy. If you fold a paper towel a few times, and use it to cover the chamber that makes the bubbles under the collection cup, it cuts the noise in half. Fold it so it fits nice and snug over the nozzle.
bill