Good price for a 72 Gallon tank?

zjsm36

Found a used tank I'm interested in. Seems like a good deal to me. I've been into reefing for about a year and am ready to upgrade to a bigger tank from my current 28 gallon. What are some of your thoughts on it?

Its 72Gallon Bowfront. Seller is asking $550
EVERYTHING is included, No i will not seperate, dont bother.
Trickle Filtration System
75g Protien Skimmer
216w T5 Ho Fixture (4Blubs) 2 03's and 2 10k's, Moonlights
Timers
2 Koralia 3 Powerheads
Glass hood, and egg crate hood
There is Aprox 75Lbs Lr
Tank is FULL of softies,
Torch
Frogspawn
Kenya Trees
Ric
Star Polyps
Mushrooms
Hairy Shrooms
Zoa's
Pallys
Anthelia
Livestock Includes
Yellow Tang
True Perc Clown
2 Blue/green Chromis
Green Mandarin
Skunk Cleaner
Brittle Star
Various Hermits, snails
Half Full bottles of Chemicals

Attachments

• 72 Gallon. Knoxville Tn.jpg
    72 Gallon. Knoxville Tn.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 76

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Is it worth it to you? Really without know exactly what brand of equipment and how old its hard to say. A lot would depend on the quality of the equipment for me. If the skimmer and lights are not a top of the line I would pass cause you will need to replace those and that is the biggest expense of a tank.

Sounds a bit steep to me.

WVUReefer

I think the power heads are a little on the low side...Depends on what you want to keep...Lighting looks a little weak for a tank that size I would have at least 6 bulbs..skimmer is definitely underrated..

zjsm36

I've had a 28Gallon for the past year, and am looking for an upgrade to bigger and more fish in a tank. I have no doubt a 70+ can keep some tangs and a few more clown fish. I would like to add some anemones for the clown fish. I was thinking a BTA.

I haven't seen anymore pics of the filtration system but have asked for pics. I agree a 75gallon skimmer isnt excellent. But I didnt think the lighting was sub par. If I changed the lighting to VHO T5 instead of the HO T5 would that make a difference?

WVUReefer

It's not the fact that it is HO vs. VHO..its th amount of bulbs your working with..I recommend 6 on anything bigger than 55g...you are gonna' start a fight on the thread saying a few tangs in a 72g...I'm suprised the tang police haven't chimed in on that comment?.?...You'll have to let the tank mature again before you add the nem...You can get away with 4 bulbs if the reflectors are good..Are they individual reflectors?..If not then more bulbs will need to be added..

zjsm36

Yea. The Tang police is gonna be onto me. The tank comes with a yellow tang and i plan on adding another type of tang at some point.

No idea about the reflectors. But thanks for mentioning it. I'll keep you posted as to what else I learn about the specific brands of lighting, skimmers, ect.

Kovu

This deal is just an alright deal but you can probaly get another tank with more stuff in it for that price or just a little higher. I got a 180 gallon tank for 500 dollars with wet dry filters lights, skimmer, some powerheads and the best of all a new friend.

zjsm36

Thats impressive. I don't know if im ready to handle a 180 gallon tank. Thats a beast. I think I'd like to work on something smaller. But this Reef stuff is so addictive I have no doubt i'll want a 180+ gallon before too long.

zjsm36

No new info about the tank to report.

Is it possible to add another lighting fixture to the top of the tank, so I'll have 6-8 lights instead of the 4 that come with it? Or would that be too much lighting?

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
That is possible depending on the width of the tank and the fixture that is on it.

I assume that is a bow front tank so it may not be possible to add another fixture of 4 due to the shape.

zjsm36

Thanks for the responses about this tank. After some more researching the seller has a decent looking tank. But all his internal hardware pieces do seem to be a bit on the cheapside. And his asking price of $550 seems to be high and he doesn't seem to be negotiable at all to his asking price. The one positive thing about this deal is he is only about a 2 hr drive from me.

I have found 2 other tanks that are about a 4 1/2 hr drive from me. (I live in a rural area, but do have all my teeth and don't play banjo music) These tanks seem to be much higher quality and asking a reasonable price. What do you guys think of these tanks?

1. Price $1000
72 gallon bow front with custom wood base and canopy with custom mounted lights. it stands approx 5'8". It has two 150 NMH and two 96wt CF lights with blue led moon lights. All on separate timers. the canopy has fans mounted in both sides to keep heat out. I will sell everything including the live rock(approx 100 pounds). has a large protein skimmer, heater, pipes, powerheads, sump filtration, digital thermometer.

It all cost over $2500 and I am trying to sell it fast. I will be willing to let it go for as little as $1000.

You can even have the livestock.
1 Yellow tang
1 Regal Blue Tang
1 Flame Angel
1 Chromis
Snails/Crabs
Large Brittle Star

2. Price $500
72 gallon bow front aquarium it is a completely set up saltwater system. It comes with a very nice oak cabinet,15 gallon wet dry filter box with over flow,uv sterilizer,324 watt current usa t5 lighting system, over 70lbs the best live rock money can buy,much coral and some very healthy fish. I can not deliver so picking up must be your responsibility.

48" Nova T5 w/ 6 bulbs and reflectors, 340 watts
UV sterilizer
Urchin Skimmer w/ its own pump
600gal return pump

Livestock:
Tang
Clown
Blenny
Butteryfly
Various small corals and SPS

cindyp

read the"my great deal thread." then buy new that way you won't end up like me and pulling all your hair out. it's not easy being bald:(
used you never know what you are really getting.
was it treated with copper? lots and lots of concerns.
equipment up to par? etc...........