Good crab/bad crab?

CarmenH

Looked online but couldn't ID him.
Forgot to put in something for scale...he's maybe 3/4 the size of a dime...

aqcrab2.jpg

aqcrab.jpg

lzrlvr

bite me you crab haters i have a small crab that lives in my 12 gal nano it is very shy does not eat my other inverts and it stays, you people take all the life and fun out of keeping a reef tank adversity is the key to life.let things live and you might be supprised at what you may see living in your boring sterile tanks. i say let it live if it becomes a problem then you may have to intervine. otherwise let things live. is this not the reason you started your tank!

DaveK

I'd say that if you can identify the crab species, and it's a known reef safe crab, then ok, leave it in your main display tank. When in doubt though, remove it to your sump. It cam be very difficult to remove an unwanted crab later.

That cute little crab can turn into a monster from the deep after a few molts. Most crabs will feed on just about anything. If they can catch it, they will eat it.

As a sidebar, for a long time this form had it's "Crabs are Evil Society". While it was sort of a joke, there is a certain amount of truth to that in a reef system.

DesertOrchid

I'd say that if you can identify the crab species, and it's a known reef safe crab, then ok, leave it in your main display tank. When in doubt though, remove it to your sump. It cam be very difficult to remove an unwanted crab later.

That cute little crab can turn into a monster from the deep after a few molts. Most crabs will feed on just about anything. If they can catch it, they will eat it.

As a sidebar, for a long time this form had it's "Crabs are Evil Society". While it was sort of a joke, there is a certain amount of truth to that in a reef system.

Do keep it in your sump till you can identify it though. Like most babies it is cute but can be a BIG problem when they get bigger as Dave says. I had a cute teddy bear crab on my pocillipora but now it has molted and is not so cute as it eats the polyps off my coral and I can not get it out of it. Just like a tick and it really sticks!! Ugh!

StirCrayzy

Sump or fuge with that one.
Just my instinctive perception.
Your lucky to catch it BEFORE having a problem.
LZRLVR- most of the fish/stock we keep are intentionally kept alive by making preventative decisions.
Which is much easier than vacuuming carcasses from the gravel while trying to find the cause.
Do understand however, there are just different views for maintaining a system.

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
i thought i was obvious but that wasnt directed at you... i apologize if it seemed like i was referring to your post... i value what you have to say desertorchid. i am just amazed at the animal activist comment... we all love our fish and coral.. that is why we ask questions like " is this crab safe for my tank" the other thread "let things live" really just got me going...lol

dmatt88

Nothing to see here. Walk away just a misunderstanding it seems. It took me a minute to catch the earlier bite me but I found it.

........welcome to my mind

DesertOrchid

So did I.......... just a bit too much attitude around the forum lately creating some defensiveness. It's all good built347 :ignore:

Built347

i hoped you guys wouldve know i wouldnt have said that to you... but since you didnt.. I wouldnt.

steved13

PREMIUM
I missed the earlier "bite me" also. I never thought it was directed at desertorchid, I thought Devon had a brain cramp and commented in the wrong thread. Just because it made no sense at all to me. Devon, you might want to start using the "reply with quote" when commenting on a particualr post, in a case like this. :)

dmatt88

I've not noticed the attitude. What have I been missing?

........welcome to my mind