Goniopora relocation question

Skyreefer

I've had a goniopora sp. coral doing well in my tank for a few months. I have it positioned on a ledge near the middle-top of the tank, however it can not fully extend it's polyps on the right side. I'm considering moving it to the substrate so it can fully extend but I'm worried it will not like the change. Do you think moving it so it can fully extend and grow makes sense?

Jollyreefer

Yeah it makes sense as long as it is still high in the tank and gets enough flow. Its not like if you move it water quality will change. ID GO FOR THE MOVE!

Skyreefer

Thanks Jollyreefer. My plan was to place it on the sand bed because I'm pretty much out of space at the top. I have a stronger flow at the top for my sps corals anyway and my goniopora never liked the chaotic flow. I've seen many pictures of goniopora stokensi placed on the substrate so I thought I would try it as well. We'll see how it goes.

DaveK

You may not want to put it directly on the substrata. Usually with this coral, there are a lot of polyps around the edge, and you don't want to damage them by burying them in the substrata.

Blndbunny

I have an alevopora and it does not like to have plops touching anything. Mine is low in the tank with low to moderate flow and it's very happy there, it also loves when I add oyster feast to the tank

Skyreefer

I moved it to the bottom and placed it on top of a rock. The polyps are halfway extended now. The problem with the last location was that the polyps could not fully extend. I read somewhere that this could lead to it's decline.