going to visit the new aquarium in atlanta georgia

mattie

RS Sponsor
I am so sorry about the pics.
i forgot my camera and it would have been hard to take pics
the georgia aquarium is the largest in the world.
i thought it was strange that you had to buy admission in advance and that it was timed as to when you could enter and that most times were sold out.
the aquarium was impressive they had only a few <20 displays but they were very big I mean BIG...
I will not recommend it too strongly for one very very important reason.
It was FREAKING crowded....like way too many people. it was sold out, which IMO ruined the experience it was unbelievably difficult to look at many of the exibits. some of which i was unable to view becouse of the crowds
i would recommed if anyone wants to go, be sure its very early and try to do it one a week day!
as you can tell i do not like crowds. it was just too busy for me. to many of the fish looked injured or with head or lateral line disease.
if it wasn'tso crowded it would have ben great becouse they did things much bigger than most aquarium and they had a large reef tank with live corals which is the whole reason i went down in the first place. so i feel i got my money's worth but the crowds stressed my out.
now that i am still in GA i am going to try to find a pet frendly doggie park to relax the rest of the day away.

KeyserSoze

Thank you for sharing. I was thinking about going but living in Kansas it would have been a long trip and sounds like a dissappointing one at this point.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Thanks Mattie. I have heard of several dissapointed people that have visited it. Maybe it's the hard core reefers like us the get our hopes up too high? :dunno:

wickjr

I just drove through Atlanta on my way from Disney World last week and considered looking into going to the aquarium on the way home. Sounds like a good decision not to. I live near Cincinnati, and there is a nice aquarium in Newport, Kentucky, right across the river from Cincy. They don't have live coral in the big tank, but several smaller displays do. When it first opened, the fish and corals didn't look all that impressive there either. I went back about a year later and everything looked much healthier. Maybe it takes these aquariums a while to get everything settled and it's best to wait a while before visiting? I've not been there in a while. Too EXPENSIVE. And the crowds. I visited Mote Marine Aquarium in Sarasota, Florida on the second part of my vacation. Very nice set ups, and not so expensive. Mote concentrates on research and conservation, so many of their displays are related to that. If anyone is in that area and looking for something to kill a couple hours, it's worth the stop.

mattie

RS Sponsor
for those who want to go out of there way to visit an aquarium
I recommend the sheed aquarium in chicago.....IMO it is the best and one of the oldest public aquariums around i hated chicago but the aquarium was worth it.
i will say this about the one in atlanta they have the biggest tank ever!!! it is aboout the foot print of a football field!!! and houses 2 whale sharks each bout 15 feet....
maybe in about 6 mo's or so everything will look better
there reef disokay did have live corals unlike a few public aquariums i have been to huhmm NC.