Going to see Open Water?!

DuhJeepster

Wondering how many of you divers, surfers or other salty water lovers are going to see the new thriller Open Water.

I'm a little skeered, but I'm looking forward to being freaked and paranoid . . . in a weird sort of way.

:rolleyes: :cool:

reefjitsu

Being somone who has done open water diving and being someone who has come up from the deep to find no boat or land anywhere in site, I have to say I look forward to seeing it. It looks like it wiil be absolutely terrifying. I can say from my experience that it is the most helpless and frightening feeling in the world and I didn't have sharks circling me! I have also swam with large sharks before and that was pretty scary in itself, put the two together and lookout!

DuhJeepster

Originally posted by mwrager
I am a diver and am I going to see the movie: Nope, no way. Call me a chicken.

LMAO . . . Chicken!!!

Just kidding. It took me a while to swim in a pool at night with the lights off after seeing Jaws the first time. I was a youngster at the time, as if that matters any, my imagination is AS good if not better now.

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
Believe it or not, I was going to do a HUGE mural for a guy who was stranded for two days in the Coral Sea. The stories he has are quite amazing, I am sure. He is now living in Florida on a large settlement from that local government. I would love nothing more than to sit back with a few beers and pick his brain...
As a NAUI diver, trained by my father-in-law and his brother, I learned very quickly how important dive and boat safety is. I feel confident in my buddy's abilities and his knowledge of dive safety, and I would hope he would feel the same... But being left by a dive charter is somewhat out of your control. I find my self thinking "what would I do"?
I know plenty of people who have experienced dive accidents. From DCS to a simple mask squeeze to actually losing their life. I have read and heard stories from friends and family who have 'seen the best of the sea' and 'experienced the worst of her wrath'. (sorry for the cliche)
So what would I do? Not see that movie. Mainly because it installs fear into the average diver/person. A movie is meant to entertain, and education, nine times out of ten, takes a back seat.
Good idea, but I just don't find it 'entertaining'. Kinda personal...

Witfull

Originally posted by DuhJeepster
It took me a while to swim in a pool at night with the lights off after seeing Jaws the first time.
i know exactly what you are saying Tony,,,i saw jaws as a kid in hawaii. it more than freaked me for awhile too!!

as far as diving,,i have never dove open water, i dont even like going out on boats where you lose site of land. (wife keeps wanting to go on a cruise...i keep saying no!) i may love the water and could swim before i could walk, BUT.....

Cougra

Nope, not on your life! I'm having enough trouble getting back in the water as is, I don't need a movie to come along and scare me half to death as well!

DuhJeepster

Cougra I hear ya! Big karmic hugs to you.

I've been toying with idea of maybe starting a charter boat business here in NE FL. Explain to me why some of these businesses don't take head counts, wouldn't that put them up to a huge liability law suit? Time or lack thereof would not stop me from doing a check that's for sure.

What's the most scary is the movie is based on a true story.

:confused:

I see some of you have pretty strong feelings about it, but you know what? I'm still going. I've had my fare share of shark experiences in the islands, but never in my whole life have I been left to die in the middle of the ocean.

:eek:

Last edited:

L.Baldrey

You guys are funny...I dont think I want to see it myself...I dont think any diver in their right senses ill want to see it :)

I got the movie at home and havent yet convinced myself to watch it....I did watch 2 scenes though and it was sick enough to make me wait a bit more :)

Blind Squirrel

I haven't seen the movie because I heard it sucked.

In response to Dah Jeepster's comments, I agree on the head count theory. Any Divemaster worth his/her salt would have done this to avoid the whole problem. That's why most divemasters and instructors carry liability insurance. The Divemaster of that boat was negligent.

Blind Squirrel

Icebox

As a diver, I really wanted to see the movie. It is a scary thought that one would get left at sea. I have talked to someone that enjoyed their swim back to the island from baracuda reef in Cozumel Mexico after their boat left them. So I had to see it. Well I finally got around to watching it, adn I started skipping scenes. the acting was awfull, and well it was boring. They could have done so much more with the concept but they did not. I just wanted them both to die so the movie would end. Is that evil of me? lol

Witfull

havent seen it yet,,,and even with all the free time i have right now,,,,its not on the list.

Icebox

Bitter? yes, I wanted something that was worth watching. Maybe some good music, some good fish, maybe even someone that could act playing a role. I mean the sex scene was even something I wanted to fast forward through. That is saying something there.

It could have been summed up in 15 minutes and been a good flick. :)

I would give it to you if I still had it, but I think we sold it back to Blockbuster.

jcoopergd

What was great about the flick - is that it wasnt major hollywood motion picture - the husband wife team that made it, did it on very little budget, and it was based off a true story - I believe it took them way over a year to film, as they both had regular jobs to work around..

the fact that they got it into the theatres, and onto DVD release...props -

now, it is kinda slow, but what else to you do when your in the middle of the ocean....with only 2 actors....(sharks not included)..

j