Going down the TUNZE route

Brucey

OK, I've been to see a few tanks recently in my area and have been SO impressed with people that use the Tunze Stream Pumps . . . . so i've decided to ditch my 5xmaxijet 1200's Powerheads and go down the Tnuze Stream route. So last week I purchased a Tunze 6100 Stream (a monsterous 3175Gallons per hour) which immediatley doubled the turnover of the 5 maxijets. I was amazed HOW much detritues suddenly got kicked into the water column that must have been in dead spots in the LR. I'm having to do it gradually due to the cost of the things but soon I'm going to purchase a Tunze 7095 Controller and another 6100 Stream. I loe the advantage this controller has over others in that it can switch the pumps on alternatly, gently bringing them online from 30% power output on to 100% and then back down again, before bringing on the other pump. The intervals can obviously be set manually. From what i've seen in other tanks, this gives a real surge effecf over the croals, with the flow alternating from one end of the tank to the other. Anyway, thought I'd share, and see if anyone else has gone the Tunze route

Take care all
Brucey

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Hi Brucey :) I would love to have a tunze or two but am afraid it would be too much flow for my LPS and large leathers. But I like the idea of a controller! I will follow this thread to see what others say.

mps9506

Doni, you should consider getting the tunze and the contoller. You'd be suprised at what blunt flow you get with these things, you just wouldn't be running it at 100%.
It will really move water throughout your entire tank.

Brucey

Hi Doni

Yep Mike is correct. You might be surprised at how blunt the flow is . . . . although a direct feed onto a LPS or SPS would blow the flesh off them I'd guess. On the 6100 model that I have bought you can adjust the flow from 30% to 100% with a little screwdriver to get exactly the flow you'd require. I've would mine up to 100% and am using the surface area of the tank to take the direct flow. I really am impressed with the result. Can't wait to get a second
Brucey

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Awesome info!! I will keep that in mind... I like the idea of pointing the stream upwards to reduce the current but still allowing flow.

BoomerD

Brucey, have you considered the Tunze wavebox for that tank? Most innovative idea they have there.

mps9506

Boomer,
What are you doing up so late???? :D
I agree, wavebox, very awesome. Local reefer has one, I am nothing but impressed by it.

Brucey

Hi BoomerD (Good to hear from you bud), and Mike. Yes, looked at the Tunze Wavebox system but did not like the aesthetics of it in my current 7ft tank. It's only 18" back to front and there would be no way of hiding the "Boxes". However, I plan building my next tank towards the end of this year or beginning of next (12ft x 3ftW x 30" deep) and am thinking about a wave box at either end plus two Tunze 6100 streams on the controller. Because of the 3ft wide of the tank I should be able to place them near half way each and build some LR in front of them. I started some tank plans last week and want to incorporate a sloping weir box which I;ve never seen before. Have you seen any pics of the wavebox IN a tank. I've only seen them on shelves etc
Brucey

Attachments

• 862 Gallon project.gif
    862 Gallon project.gif
    34.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited: