Stay with it

• Yes

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kragon

My tank if any one cant remeber has been suffering with nitrates and when things looked good i broke my foot and been out of it well i thought i would get back into it but guess what i needed surgery on my foot so im out for another 4 days. I dont know if i should continue on i have a couple of fish and corals 2 clowns growing nice and big and somewhat evil, 2 cardinals that eat a lot 1 royal gramma thats doing good 1 chromis doing good but two tangs that i am batteling with to get them healthy. To be honest i want to send them to a place where they can get specific care and know how to deal with it but i want your opinion on that. The only good signs i have are my small kenya tree frag has grown an entire inch my anthelia have grown 7 more heads, daisey spreading on their frag rock, and star and star frag growing crazy about 12 inches total in 5 months. So i dont know what to do.

mettjl03

I vote you stick with it!! I know things are hard right now... But it will get better. Trust me we have all been there. Just keep your chin up and let us know if there is anything we can help you with!

Basile

My tank if any one cant remeber has been suffering with nitrates and when things looked good i broke my foot and been out of it well i thought i would get back into it but guess what i needed surgery on my foot so im out for another 4 days. I dont know if i should continue on i have a couple of fish and corals 2 clowns growing nice and big and somewhat evil, 2 cardinals that eat a lot 1 royal gramma thats doing good 1 chromis doing good but two tangs that i am batteling with to get them healthy. To be honest i want to send them to a place where they can get specific care and know how to deal with it but i want your opinion on that. The only good signs i have are my small kenya tree frag has grown an entire inch my anthelia have grown 7 more heads, daisey spreading on their frag rock, and star and star frag growing crazy about 12 inches total in 5 months. So i dont know what to do.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune bro. Is it a finacial thing or just a downer. You seem to have put alot into it. Would be ashame to loose everything now. I think your a bit stress with all that has happen to you. And right now the tank is taking a back seat for now , and rightfully so. I would keep it for now and wait to see how you feel after your surgery worked out. And take a breather before making a potentially heart renching decision. Can some friends take care of the tangs for you for a while? Try to get some help for now while your healing. You need a break.;) good luck

kragon

i have been trying and trying and putting money to essential eqquipment but something comes up i get behind. But my question is should i keep the tangs

kragon

I have no friends in this hobby im pretty much a trend starter in my city probaly the only person within 25 miles with a 180 tank

Basile

i have been trying and trying and putting money to essential eqquipment but something comes up i get behind. But my question is should i keep the tangs

I can't help you there, i'm no tang expert, i don't even have one, sorry.

lcstorc

What is wrong with the tangs?
I would hate for you to give up. They can be so good at relieving stress and I really think they give back what we give to them.

kragon

well to be honest its all my fault i havent been feeding them right and now im paying the price, scratch that they are but im trying my best i just bought a magazine that talks about their diet.

kragon

try to feed them 2 or at least one piece of algae and feed them two times in small portion of a mush that i made and other frozen foods different every day.

Adam Black

This Hobby should be fun and enjoyable, if your not feeling it right now take sometime off. Come back even stronger with everything you need, equipment included. Good Luck

kragon

well thanks for the support you have gave me some determination to go off again but i have some major questions should i start a new thread and if yes then where

well thanks for the support you have gave me some determination to go off again but i have some major questions should i start a new thread and if yes then where

I think you should just keep this thread first of all.

Secondly, What kind of tangs are they. Tangs are my favorite fish and at the store that we work at we have an entire 180 display just for them so, I am very farmiliar with them.

Also, it is unessessary for tangs to eat anything other than seaweed or filimentious algae. They will eat mysis or other types of foods, however, keep in mind that there staple diet is algae and they are herbivores.

You can't get your questions answered without asking them.... :help:

DrHank

My tangs do well with just grazing the rocks and some nori 3 times a week. They chow down on mush and mysis when I feed the tank as well. I would suggest just keeping an eye on them unless they have disease symptoms.

My tangs do well with just grazing the rocks and some nori 3 times a week. They chow down on mush and mysis when I feed the tank as well. I would suggest just keeping an eye on them unless they have disease symptoms.

It's what the Doc ordered!:)

kragon

well i know they are malnourished because their fins are looking like fresh water fin rot but i know that it is not just the diesease becasue when i improved their diet they got some bettter and now are growing faster.

But here is a question i am seeing corraline algae on some rocks but there is cyano in the tank too i dont know how that could happen. My hypothisis is that the cyano is eating the nitrates which then the coralline algae appears but not because im doing my job.

2nd off crushed coral is about 1/4 side of my tank i have been slowly working on taking out, should i continue.

3rd off is it normal for feather dusters to stick on pvc pipes i checked my box in my tank and there is one on it the pipe.

DaveK

To get back to the original question. No one can decide for you. You need to choose if you should give up on the hobby or not.

Ask yourself this age old question...

Are you better off with it or without it?

In other words, do the rewards of having a reef system outweigh the work, and pain and suffering involved with keeping the system?

Like a Zen master once said there is a time to hold fast and a time to let go.

To answer your new questions.

Keep fighting the unwanted algae. Make large partial water changes. Keep removing the crushed coral. Feather dusters on pipes are generally ok.

acemow

I know maintaining can be rough when life hits you with some setbacks. Keep dealing with that algae, checking the sites here about cyano; I've used Chem Clean. My sailfin tang came with my tank and he was very thin. I fed by hand below the overflow box level so the food stayed suspended longer, turned off one PH for a bit and soaked food in garlic. I soak nori in garlic and put it in a clip and the tang is fat and healthy, took a couple weeks but I kept him in DT during that time