Glass and scratches

rckmtl

So, moving into a new apt that's smaller means I have to condense my tanks. I had a 20 setup as a display and a 40 as a prop. tank. Now I'm just using the 40 as the display and putting the 20 in storage. Only problem is that I never thought I would use the 40 as a display, so when I bought it, I didn't care that the glass was scratched a lot. Alot a lot. Is there anyway to fix, or lessen the impact of scratches on glass? That doesn't cost a lot of money?

rckmtl

Thank you for the link. That might be helpful indeed. My BF's aunt is a jewler so it should be easy for me to get a hold of the grit. I wish they had shown a better pic of the finished project though.
Anyone else got a nifty suggestion?

rckmtl

lol. That is funny to me, cuz I have the tank to look at. I'll take pics when my batteries re-chare and show you guys how bad the scratching is. It is on all four sides.

Guy I got the tanks from said he used them to breed freshwater angelfish...he must have cleaned the tanks with steel wool or soemthing though

ReefLady

Staff member
40's arent't too expensive, might be worth it to just replace the tank rather than have those scratches laugh at you every time you look at the tank... "nya nya, you can't fix me!" LOL

proud2bcanadian

Travis said:
40's arent't too expensive, might be worth it to just replace the tank rather than have those scratches laugh at you every time you look at the tank... "nya nya, you can't fix me!" LOL

lol. That's an idea. Then you could use the scratched up 40g as a fuge and sump!

rckmtl

Travis said:

::laughs:: You know, that idea never even crossed my mind. You may have to take down my 'I am smart' post!

But I am stuck with this one. no extra money right now. But I think I will start saving.

It -would- be nice to have a bigger sump.... then again, it's always nice to have a bigger sump...

proud2bcanadian

If you have no extra money, you should probably just wait, and start saving up. Sorry if I'm mistaken, but you still have a lot of expensive equipment to buy to start up a reef tank.

rckmtl

Oh, no I have all the other stuff. I just moved into a new apt. I had a 20 setup as a display and the 40 as a prop, but I don't have room for both now, so I am just using the 40 for a display. Thanks though

Aussie_81

I'm a glazier and i can tell you that to polish out the scratches with the 'grits' or compound (usually cirium oxide) is a hell of a job. fine scratches don't show up much when a tank is full, so i assume the ones that are causing your concern must be reasonably deep. polishing out out a scratch is done by actually 'wearing' the glass around it down to same level of the scratch...so good luck!!!. So to be honest replacing the front panel of the tank is the best bet, or chuck it and go again.