Gina's 30g. Cube

Gina

RS STAFF
Thought I would begin my chronicle on the 30 cube that I'm planning for Seahorses.

The lights I ordered came in today and they are nice.
I ordered a Coralife 20" 96w 50/50 with 2 cooling fans and built-in electronic ballast.
I'm impressed with how bright they are.

I plan on adding LR and LS at the end of this month after I get back from Indiana.

I'm still trying to find a small overflow. I saw one in a tank at the LFS where I go and have looked at several places on-line and still can't find one small enough for this tank.
If we can't find one, then we'll just have to make it.

For now, this tank will be on it's own system since we seem to be having issues with our 75. Once the 75 is running stable we'll incorporate the 30 with it.
I plan on making a 10g sump for it and will look into a skimmer.

Anyway, here it is with the new lights on.

Last edited:

Gina

RS STAFF
Woodstock said:
Nice Gina!! Are you going to have it drilled?

I didn't think of that! I've been looking everywhere for a small overflow and haven't been able to find one.
I'll have to give it some thought. Are you having yours drilled?

Dragon Wrasse
I figured if I could just keep adding tanks along the wall, I'd eventualy end up with a 200g and then I could join the club! LOL:whstlr:

Billy,
This will be my first attempt at them. I've done alot of reading and have been over at Seahorse.org. They are cool creatures and I hope also I have luck with them!

billyr98

I really do... i did a ton of reading.. but just no luck here... But will try them again one day... 30g drilled would be great to get a fuge going for the seahorses...

KimPossible

Wonderful Gina!
I'm looking forward to your chronicle.
lol~ I cant do anything that I'm afraid to touch~ I couldn't manage the maintenance of Seahorses.....right up your alley, I'm sure there's not much you not could handle :)
Right on! Gets some Gorgs in there as hitching posts! The environment is primo for them!

blue_eyes53813

Great tank,,, Where is info on seahorses? Or maybe someone on here can tell me the easiest kind to keep.... Feeding like live or if some will except frozen??? I saw seahorses at IMAC and of course for some reason missed the ceminar on them......Oceanic has a cool new 29 gallon coming out with stand, built in overflow, sump and filters, lights built into the lid,,, would be a perfect horse tank..

Gina

RS STAFF
Blue eyes,
A 29 would probably be ok. They say a 30 is really the smallest tank they should be in though.
I got alot of my info from Seahorse.org. It's a forum like ours but for seahorses and pipefish.
Captive bred is the way I plan on going.
I'm going to look into the Dwarf Seahorses first though and see how different they are to care for verses Redis.

billyr98

sounds like Gina needs a Seahorse/Pipefish section on RS now.. since she will be an expert soon enough!

lcstorc

Great to find another person getting horses.
I have 3 Kudas that are doing great so far. crossing fingers and toes. I've had two of them for just over 2 months and the third about a month. They were tank raised and eat frozen mysis. Big time piggies but great fun to watch.
I had a bit of a cyano breakout in their tank and it was actually growing on the seahorses. Various people advised me to brush them gently with a soft toothbrush. It worked great and was kind of neat to actually hold the seahorse. Something I would not normally do, but since I was worried about the algae I had to do something. Anyway, it worked and I have seen no ill effects in the 4 days since I tried it. Other than that, mine have been nothing but a joy to watch.
I will be watching and waiting so I can learn with you. Hopefully all will go well.
Peace
Lynn

Gina

RS STAFF
I am looking into filters now until we can get around to putting in a sump.
We already have a Millennium 3000 leftover from when we had our first aquarium which I could use for now or I've heard alot of people use a Fluval cannister filter.
Does anyone have any experience with these and would my Millennium work just as well?

Just trying to get all the equiptment I'll need before I start the set up.

billyr98

I run a fluval on my cichlid tank... I like it, but don't have much to say about... poor cichlids are very neglected fellows...

Joe69

Gina said:
I'm going to look into the Dwarf Seahorses first though and see how different they are to care for verses Redis.

Gina, great looking tank. I have also been wondering about Dwarf Seahorses with feeding being my main concern. I don't have the time or inclination to breed live shrimp or rotifers and feed 3+ times a day. If you get any info on them please let me know. I think they are fascinating animals.

The1poolman

As far as an over flow, I had taken just a small acrilic speciman/ fish container, as they already have a lip so that they can hang on the side of the tank as you catch fish. I just driiled the bottom, made a fitting and had a small overflow that would work perfect for your tank. In total in cost me $9 and that included fittings and line.

Let me know if like I can take a pic mon, if you want to what it looks like. Best of luck, that will be a cool tank.

Gina

RS STAFF
The1poolman said:
As far as an over flow, I had taken just a small acrilic speciman/ fish container, as they already have a lip so that they can hang on the side of the tank as you catch fish. I just driiled the bottom, made a fitting and had a small overflow that would work perfect for your tank. In total in cost me $9 and that included fittings and line.

Let me know if like I can take a pic mon, if you want to what it looks like. Best of luck, that will be a cool tank.

Hmm...I never would have thought of that! I have 3 of those sitting around.
Yes, I would like to see a picture of yours when you get the chance.
Thanks!

dbenyo

My neighbor raises dwarf seahorses and I have 3 now. They are best kept in smaller aquariums like a 6-12 gallon because they need a high concentration of live brine fry around them. As a warning this species lives approximately 6 months to 1.5 years max. That means that they mature quickly and reproduce like crazy. Be prepared to go from having a handful to having an all out pony ranch in about a month. Dont worry though these guys are so small that 20-30 can comfortably fit in a 12 gallon assuming that there is plenty of stuff to hang onto. She has an aquapod 24 but it is just too big and the pump is too strong, for your 29 you might want to go with a bigger species.