Gfo

eric w

Hi all,

How long does it take for GFO to work. I have phosphate levels of like .07 and put new media in 12 hours ago and it has dropped very little.....My flow is low and the top is tumbling very slow....just curious how long it usually takes....thanks

reeferman

it should be working now.if your levels arent dropping then your rocks might be leaching it back out as fast as the gfo can remove it.if thats the case,change it out at least every two weeks for several months until your rate of absorbtion is greater than the rate of the leaching.eventually,you should get the po4 under control.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
yes, no, maybe. Yes if there are things in the rock to leach(ie dry rock), it can. No, its not absolutely certain. if you buy 100% cured live rock from a LFS, it probably wont, especially if its covered in coraline/corals etc(meaning its been in a stable tank 6+mo)
and Maybe No matter where you get your rock, leeching is always a possibility. I broke up some small live rock that had been in my tank over a year, into rubble for my frag tank. My nitrates/phosphates went through the roof, just from breaking 10 fist sized pieces into quarter size pieces. it took 2 50% water changes 24 hours apart to get the levels down.