Getting ready to ditch GSP

newsalt

I getting ready to ditch my Green Star Polyp. It has been closed now for about 2 weeks. The polyps look shriveled but it's still a purple color. Personally, I think it's dying or dead. If it isn't dead, is there something I can do? Iodine???

wildcat

Does it have any detritus on it?

Redirect some flow to hit it with moderate movement.

Not uncommon for them to close up, two weeks is a bit long but doesn't necessarily mean they are dead.

ReefLady

Staff member
If you’re ready to give up on them, they’re probably about to come back. :)

I’d hang on to them. Doubtful that they’d have much of an impact on water quality even if they did die off.

pyxis

NewSalt, from my personal experience, mine had closed up as well for about 2 weeks as well. I thought they were dead as well, but i redirected some flow and about 3 days later they were growing again. I believe it was brian_e who told me that even if the stalks are dead, they can grow back under the right conditions.

Good Luck and I hope this helps you some

RanRoc

I would keep'em if I were you. Just keep up with water changes and have some fresh carbon handy, just in case. These things, IMO, are very hardy. I'm not sure about the iodine thing. I think Borneman stated in his book that it may actually have adverse affects on GSP if given too much. I could be wrong, though. Good luck and keep us posted.
-RY

livingreef2004

i had some i that were givin to me by the lfs cause they looked terrible i kept them for 3 months before they opened back up and now they are thriving so dont give up so soon hang in there and good luck

acropora

If you hang on to them, they will most likely open up soon. And soon there after, you will be complaining about how much they spread onto surrounding L.R. LOL

Witfull

they definately need some flow over them to thrive. same as gorgonians they need it to remove waste and to circulate 02 around them because when they are open they restrict water flow under them.