Getting My Feet Wet - My Red Sea Max C-250

COMMANDO

Good update. I haven't experienced what you are talking about with the pumps coming loose. That seems strange to me. Mine are on super tight. Maybe you need to replace your 5/8 tubing? It's pretty cheap if that's the case.

So I added an extra piece of eggcrate support (so now the sponge is supported below on the front and back). I also suspect that the algae that I am experiencing may actually be the culprit in this as I think the excess of it does clog the sponges to a degree which then causes the buildup of water pressure to 'push' down on the sponges (and not move through as freely). I am now going to take more care when 'cleaning' the algae and make more use of my Fluval Aquavac instead of relying too much on the skimmer and mechanical filtration of the sponges to clean up the algae.

COMMANDO

Someone on another forum has advised me that they believe the 'algae' to be some form of bacteria or bacterial mulm (waste) buildup... any opinions on this (it just seems a lot more 'stringy' than photos I have seen of mulm)? Yesterday I started to aquavac as much as possible and I will be following this on a daily basis moving forward.

I was also recommended to hold back on the NoPoX dosing until I see a reduction in the bacteria - I would assume due to the fact that NoPoX stimulates the bacterial growth. I just wish I knew what type of bacteria it was, i.e. Is it Nitrosomonas (ammonia to nitrite), Nitrobacter (nitrite to nitrate) or denitrifying bacteria (or all three)? I would assume that it ain't primarily denitrifying due to my nitrates still sitting at 20 (or, conversely, they are in fact denitrifying and it is my high nitrate level that is contributing to their proliferation).

I will try for a couple of weeks and see how it goes.

Pat24601

I really had no idea what your picture was of. It really didn't look like algae to me, but I'm a long way from an expert. It's not anything I've seen.

COMMANDO

Today is DAY 44... time for a quick update:

Managed to get the bacterial bloom (mulm) under control by reducing the NoPoX dosing by 50%. All parameters are still stable, although seems like it will take a while to get nitrates to the level that I want them to be.

Since the last post I have added a skunk cleaner shrimp (aka "Elvis"), two nessarius snails and a small mushroom coral frag just to test the waters. I know that the mushroom will spread like wildfire, but decided to just start with a beginner friendly coral that adds some quick growth. At the moment I am only supplementing with Red Sea's Foundation B to keep KH at around 8.5.

Now for the distressing news: My largest electric blue hermit crab (aka "Basil") decided to snack on one of the other two that had molted. I was hoping that it would pull through, but unfortunately too much of it was eaten for any hope that it would recover with the next molt... all legs gone. So this is the first official loss for me. The second (potential) loss might be my skunk cleaner shrimp. It successfully molted within a few days of being in the tank, but then disappeared with no sign that it had been eaten by any of the other inhabitants (no leftover carapace, antennae or legs floating around). I was prepared that it may find a place to hide after molting, but today is day 4 and it seems like they generally go into hiding for about 3 days. Holding thumbs that it will reappear, but in light of Basil's behavior I fear that he may too have met his end... Does Elvis still live or has he found eternal rest in Graceland?! :m15:

Overall, I am still very happy with the Red Sea Max C-250 tank (although a chiller is definitely still on the shopping list).

COMMANDO

DAY 46

Still no sign of Elvis (day 6 after disappearance) so I am going to assume that he no longer lives :(

Parameters for today:
Temperature - 26.6 'C (a bit warm here in the African bush this week)
Salinity - 1.025 (has been steady since day 1, with slight RODI water top ups each day)
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0.2 ppm
Nitrate - 10 ppm
KH - 8 (prior to adding daily 5ml Red Sea Foundation B supplement)

All pretty stable and looking to be purchasing the next small coral and fish. I do have a store credit for a firefish so this will more than likely be the next addition (the one I ordered for delivery was deemed unsuitable on the day to leave the store).

Here's a pic of Basil the accused, along with a photo-bomb by Clyde:

WP_20170823_17_25_13_Rich (2) RESIZED.jpg