garden eel

redneckgearhead

Does anyone have any experience with garden eels? live aquaria says expert only but why? What makes them expert only? Can a mod fix my title to say garden eel. thanks

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Why eel buddy? Their messy n knock over all the Corals. Cool yes. Total pains? Yep. Hence mine going to dean mailed to blade.

,......im Matt n i support this message

redneckgearhead

Well the garden eel seems small enough not to do too much damage. But peoples experience and opinion is what im after. thanks matt

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
They sure look cool. I love eels. I'm never mixing another in my coral tank tho. Predator tanks another story. Good luck buddy.

,......im Matt n i support this message

DaveK

Garden Eels are fish best left in the ocean as far as keeping them in the home goes. It's very difficult to meet their tank and feeding requirements.

Here are some links on the subject (offsite) -
http://www.aquariumdomain.com/viewSpeciesMarine.php?id=184
Shedd Aquarium

My take on difficult fish and other livestock is that if you are going to come up with a specific plan to meet it's requirements, and be willing to dedicate the time and resources to it, then ok. Otherwise, don't get that fish. None of this "well, I get it and see how it does" kind of stuff. That just leads to dead animals.

redneckgearhead

Dave thanks for the links. provided just the answers i was looking for. Looks like im going to keep looking for an interesting animal for my tank.

lbiminiblue

I'm singing the eel blues....no one wants to buy an eel except someone oblivious to the fact that they reduce your fish selection by half...

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Scott, check out frogfish, they are really special, garden eels are a lot of work, right down to a specific flow style,substrate and food, they remind me of Gophers lol

redneckgearhead

Looks like one frogfish is reef safe but he would never pass the "wife must think they are cute" test. Has a face only a mother could love. Thanks sas

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Frogfish are cute no?

Pink-Painted-Frogfish-Antennarius-Pictus.jpg