Gaaaaaahhhhh!!!! What IS that?!?!

ark584

Jesus Christ! (forgive the blasphemy) but what the heck is that?!?! Looks like an alien bloodsucking earth worm from hell! Dont even know how long it is but looks big.... Just sprouted out of that hole tonight and it looks evil.... Is it evil?! Should i tweeze it out and feed it to the bottom of my shoe?

photo-2.jpg

Please help ID cuz i'm scared of big hitchhikers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hi Barry! It's just some random annelid. Most of them don't get too large, and they're usually afraid of light. I'd keep him around; I have some and I certainly do!

ark584

Tom, thank you for introducing me to Barry. Hereonin, I shall forever be terrified of sticking my hand in the tank. lol

Barry can't be real... Can he? What if this Annelid in my tank ends up growing into some 6 foot sea serpent?

By the way, do any of you use arm-length rubber gloves when handling things in your tanks? Lol

Barry is the spawn of satan methinks.

Tokalosh

I had a Barry Jr, which measured 30cm in my 130 liter tank.

He is now somewhere in the Thames river, god only knows how BIG he is now. Mind you there have been a lot of reports of missing birds along the Thames lately....

I never use rubber gloves, but I should as I've lost count how many times I've been hit by a bristle worm.

Tok

tnwillia

Sorry about that. It amazing some of the life in our reef tanks. Barry is a special guy. I have a serpent star that is a good 7" across his arms that was only 2" 3 years ago. He looks huge in my RSM. I don't use gloves as I'm about 99.9% whats in my tank. To me the New tank with New rock is the one to think about gloves till you know for sure. Have fun!

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I hate to disagree with popular opinion but it looks like a demons tongue to me. I'd order n exorcism.

Matt's DROIDX using Forum Runner since idiots hacked thru tapatalk.

Well if it creeps you out (it scares me)remove it the only thing harmed is that worm . And if it decides to be a pain to remove give it a vinegar bath when you get it out! It will make you feel a lot better!

kathywithbirds

uh, I don't like Barry either.

I had a HUGE fireworm in the 75... husband didn't believe me for the longest time. He finally saw it after MONTHS of me telling him about it. He said some words I've never heard before :)

DesertOrchid

Using gloves in your tanks is never a bad thing. There are a lot of critters that can harm us if you accidently brush against them, palytoxin, allergies to xenias, not to mention bristle worms and the unkown critters lurking in the cracks and crevices of the rocks. Get some latex or nitrile gloves. Not as cumbersome as the elbow length gloves. I didn't use gloves for many years and spent too much time with swollen fingers from bristle worm encounters.......even when I was being careful. Better safe than sorry I say.

ark584

Thanks for the replies guys! Sorry bout the blasphemous remark. Wont happen again (i'm usually good with that...but Barry really, really scared me).

Been m.i.a. Cuz i made the move to iphone 4s and had to move all apps via icloud (including forumrunner).

bought a 12pack of latex gloves last night and when i came home, evil worm was no longer to be found... Must have sensed my grande plan. I'll keep an eye on the hole it came out of to see if i can pull the fella out over te next few days.