G3 questions

kerry

I recently built a 30 gallon sump from a used 50 gallon tank for my 90 g. show tank. I purchased a G3 skimmer, but can't seem to set the water level to the correct height for effective skimming. It is either collecting nothing, or filling up to rapidly with only slightly green water. What am I doing wrong? It has been running for about a week and algae growth in the show tank is taking off. Damn rookies and their feeble questions.....LOL. seriously though, I am in a bind.
Thanks for any input.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
You will have to find the special place between water height in skimmer and the amount of air being added, ps if the skimmer is in an enclosed space this can really affect performance. Steve

prow

i have the g3 and i have it set in 13" of water. most use 8-10". couple questions, is the water level were the skimmer is constant? how deep is the water level? are you adjusting the pipe with the foam up and down? did you make sure the air intake is not clogged with salt creap?

lcstorc

Also it may just still be in the break in period particularly if you didn't wash it with vinegar first. There are oils from people handling it and such and it takes some time before the skimmer works normally. Mine took about a week and I haven't had a problem since.

prow

Also it may just still be in the break in period particularly if you didn't wash it with vinegar first. There are oils from people handling it and such and it takes some time before the skimmer works normally. Mine took about a week and I haven't had a problem since.
o yeah i forgot about that. mine too, it took about a week before it really started to work right.

kerry

I think that would be the problem, it started skimming properly the day after I asked for help...still not dead eye on water heigth, but will get there.
Am posting pics. of my new aquascaping with new sump. Hope everyone enjoys them!
Thanks