FX5 Media What to use?

sapeterson

Hello, everyone I am starting out and have a FX5 that I got used for a good price. I was wondering the best media to be used in each basket. It will be running on a 90 gallon with sump/refugium, sump is about 30 gallon. No protein skimmer as of yet. This system is not running yet just want to get everything ready. I have live rock and water cycling in another tank. Will not get fish until live rock and water are in 90 gallon setup and recycled. Thank You for any input..... Shane

Doogle

If your gonna have a sump, then you don't really need a canister filter, but I use a fluval canister filter. Anyway id use the mechanical media and carbon, everyone will say scrap to bio media because they trap poop and stuff and let your live rock be the bio media. But I have bio balls in my canister and a lot of live rock. The main thing is to keep it very clean and if you have trouble with high nitrates try taking out the bio balls from the canister and use it for mechanical and chemical filtration only...ps clean it often